exhaust- options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 7th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Nigel
Ted Constantine

exhaust- options

I need an exhaust on the d-90 and I am finding the options limited. I have to do a good inspection to determine if the cat back systems will do the job or if the y-pipe and the cats need help as well.

Who other than borla makes exhaust? What is NRP and were can it be found? other options?

Thanks
Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Go to a good exhaust shop and have them make one for you.
Old October 7th, 2004, 08:50 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

My thoughts exactly. Ask around and go to the custom exhaust place with the best reputation and ask them to make one up for you. Unless you need all new downpipes, you should be able to construct a new stainless system with better flow and sound for about half the genuine cost, and probably cheaper than the Borla systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

I second the "custom" exhaust shop route. That's what I did last year. I got a cat back stainless system, $300 for everything. Aluminized steel would have been $75 cheaper.
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

NRP = Northwest Rover Performance. Now in a state of limbo. Heed the advice above.

EwS
Old October 7th, 2004, 09:31 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

I just put a Flowmaster on mine. Sounds awesome, cost less that $200 installed.

tom
Old October 7th, 2004, 09:45 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Does it matter much about the types of cats to install? I was thinking of something similar, buying a couple of Catco cats from Summit and having the custom shop weld them in. Surprisingly, the shop said I could probably buy from Summit cheaper than he could get them from his dealer.

Are 'cats' cats? Is there much of a difference in performance as there is with mufflers?
Old October 8th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Nigel
Ted Constantine

ok so if it is going to be a custom job why two cats? Why not just do one cat down further and make welding the down pipes a little easier?

Roverboy, is that just a flowmaster muffler or does flowmaster make a full system for these things?

also what diameter pipe are the exhausts you have had made?
Old October 8th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

I had a cat back system put on since my Y pipe and cats were fine. So I can't comment on replacement cats. As far as muffler selection I told the shop that I wasn't looking for a hotrod sound and they suggested a Bullet muffler which I'm happy with. Defiantly throatier than stock, especially when you get on it, but quite enough when cruising down the highway with the top off.
Old October 8th, 2004, 02:43 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I had a complete system put on from the O2 sensors back for $450 (they welded onto the original downpipes as my system was very rusty). That includes the two cats and a "Masterflow" muffler. I thought the Flowmaster was just too loud (for a daily driver) so I went with a 'quieter performance' muffler. I'm happy with the sound - decidedly truck-throaty when you get on it but very subdued at cruise.
Old October 20th, 2004, 06:07 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

My tailpipe tore off just aft of the muffler. I think it sounds great now...not sure what may catch fire underneath, but it sounds pretty good!
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

I don't know if anyone else noticed this but NRP is not a "Stainless" system.
I bought the whole system, cats and all a while back, and the only part that is stainless is the tail section.
Complete rip-off IMO. I wish I could do it again and have the entire system custom made out of stainless.
If I remember right they were a bit misleading calling it a "Complete Stainless System".
You could get a great dual cat back system built for less than the NRP stainless tail section.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust