exhaust manifold temp? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 18th, 2009, 01:14 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
exhaust manifold temp?

Can anyone tell me if the temperature for the exhaust manifold is greater than 700 degrees? I am thinking of painting the manifold and exhaust with POR15 since I have it apart. I read somewhere the POR15 paint is safe up to 700 degrees. I know they make other paints that is safe to 1400 but I have some leftover paint lying around. Just trying to save the exhaust from the inevitable. Will have to replace it in a few years. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
get the hi temp stuff. manifold can easily get that hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX
Can anyone tell me if the temperature for the exhaust manifold is greater than 700 degrees? I am thinking of painting the manifold and exhaust with POR15 since I have it apart. I read somewhere the POR15 paint is safe up to 700 degrees. I know they make other paints that is safe to 1400 but I have some leftover paint lying around. Just trying to save the exhaust from the inevitable. Will have to replace it in a few years. Thanks
Old November 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
get the hi temp stuff. manifold can easily get that hot
You heard the man ! Your EGT will easily get to 1000 degrees on steep and long inclines so go with the hot stuff. You can use the rattle can stuff witch is pretty cheap and works well if you remember the magic word ... PREPARATION !

Did mine that way and worked really nice and still looks good.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2009, 04:54 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Thanks guys. That's what I was thinking but when I read their "engine painting" info, they use regular POR 15 then topcoat with their engine paint. Figured if they recommend POR15 on the engine it must be good enough. I'll just buy their manifold paint and be done with it. What's another $20-30 right? Wouldn't be a Land Rover if it didn't continually suck money out of my wallet. Thanks again for the info and recommendation.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I should add that after painting 2 or 3 manifolds with the POR stuff I would just as soon never do it again. manifolds are fine in their natural state

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX
Thanks guys. That's what I was thinking but when I read their "engine painting" info, they use regular POR 15 then topcoat with their engine paint. Figured if they recommend POR15 on the engine it must be good enough. I'll just buy their manifold paint and be done with it. What's another $20-30 right? Wouldn't be a Land Rover if it didn't continually suck money out of my wallet. Thanks again for the info and recommendation.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust