Exhaust manifold gaskets - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 31st, 2015, 01:32 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Exhaust manifold gaskets

Just picked up my heads from the machine shop after taking down the top end of my motor- I have almost unnatural thoughts about how nice the heads look after reconditioning!

Question is about the exhaust manifold reassembly. Is there a correct way to install the new metal exhaust gaskets? Connector bar (between two ports) up or down? Also, anyone reinstalling the bolt retaining metal? Those were the biggest PITA of the whole job, bending the retainers that is. I was actually surprised that after a good o/n soaking in pb blaster the bolts came out pretty easy... So maybe the nut retainers are a good thing? Thoughts....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2015, 02:14 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Just did the exhaust thing. I believe the correct orientation for the gaskets is with the connector on the bottom. I agree with you on the lock plates, they are a royal pain to unlock. I used lock washers on reassembly. Sadly I won't get to see how that does just yet. Turns out I have a blown head gasket so it's all got to come out again.
Old October 31st, 2015, 02:31 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
If you skip the exhaust lock tabs the bolts will loosen up in very short order.I put the lock tab washer things in place but didn't bend the tabs yet. I just keep tightening them at every oil change. They are always loose.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2015, 02:33 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Thanks for the lock washers thought. Seems like a good plan. I've been following the thread about your woes as well. It sucks to take everything back out again but removing the heads isn't much further than what you've already done.
Old October 31st, 2015, 03:37 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike View Post
Thanks for the lock washers thought. Seems like a good plan. I've been following the thread about your woes as well. It sucks to take everything back out again but removing the heads isn't much further than what you've already done.
Keep in mind traditional spring lock washers do not ever do anything.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions