Exhaust - louder than stock, quieter than Borla? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:45 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Exhaust - louder than stock, quieter than Borla?

I've been running a Borla catback for a few weeks now. I love the sound - either giving it some gas or when it burbles when slowing down. The throttle response has been very nice too. Not to mention the how good the tucked-up tip looks. The only problem is it's not making the wife too happy - she says she can hear me from a block away.

It's weird, I test drove a SW late last year - it had a Borla and didn't sound too loud at all. I wonder if I have some exhaust leak off the "Y" pipe that's adding to it.

I've STFA but can't quite get a line for what's setups are louder than others.

Options:

- Borla - sounds great, just a little too much "bite" from 2k-3k RPM's
- RN/NRP including "Y" pipe & SuperCats - just worried about quality from what I've read recently
- Stock system w/ MagnaFlow or Flowmaster - seems like these could be as loud as Borla, and somewhat a PITA to get the right size muffler and to match nicely w/ the stock tailpipe.
- ECR - not sure if it's even available - from what I've read it has to be purchased w/ their "Y" pipe and hence could be pretty expensive.

Any other options? Have people heard different exhausts side by side? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:25 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Odds are you have an exhaust leak or your cats have hollowed themselves out. Also, the truck gets quieter as it warms up.

Borla > NRP > Stock as far as loudness. Borla is 10 times better than NRP.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:30 AM
motap
neal

First the AWE CB, now this? haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:05 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by don
- ECR - not sure if it's even available - from what I've read it has to be purchased w/ their "Y" pipe and hence could be pretty expensive.!
Just FYI:
No, it is not available as mail order yet, only as in shop install currently. We are still working on muffler set ups to get the right sound. We have 2 more prototypes to test today.
Correct, our system are complete systems (front to back) that are 304 stainless with Random Tech cats. Its made to work together and our tail section won't fit the others. This is because we made changes to eliminate the issues with the stock systems so it won't bolt to stock stuff, or other stuff that is made to fit "stock". It was designed to be the last system you ever buy for your truck.
Its the same price roughly as the NRP full system, but breathes better and is made from 304 not 516 stainless.

On the flip side of that, the days of the crap welding on the NRP systems is over. RN now has them made by another source and the weld quality is twice what it used to be.

Doubt that helps you, but I agree the Borla is a little too loud for a lot of folks (me included).

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:13 AM
TNRRClassic
Matt Hutchison
1987 Range Rover

All of the Borla exhausts I have heard are really loud and tend to drone. The Flowmaster 40 series is really loud, but the 70 series is pretty decent. I don't know that Flowmasters flow very well, though. I haven't heard Magnaflows on a Rover. I heard a NRP that was supposed to be a stainless version of the stock exhaust, and I didn't think it was that loud. The main thing I can say, is that you shouldn't be surprised how loud Borla is. Most people I know, especially females, dislike them. Good luck.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:25 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Neal: I know, I know! At least on Audiworld we could get sound clips, haha. That Champion S4 still stands out in my head. My wife even said my Milltek resonated was loud - it didn't help that I drove that car all the time above 3,000 RPMs. You know how it is - that's the sweet spot with those 4.2's

Mike: I really appreciate the info and clarity. I have a feeling that there is a leak of some sort near the front of the driver side cat from a prior weld job. If the ECR complete is similiar in price to the RN/NRP complete I'll definitely be interested. I've read good stuff on the Random Tech cats and your system looks amazing from the pic on the site. I'll reach out for you via email if that's cool.

Matt: Thanks for the info on the Flowmasters - both the 40 and 70 series. Correct on the females - not many of them like the loud cars. I on the other hand like a good bit of note!
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:29 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

My race car gets slapped with noise violations all the time. If you want a more permanent solution you can fit up a supertrap on your exhaust but I must say it's overkill considering a Borla isn't really that loud. Your other option is to redirect the exhaust tip. I've seen lots of people use angle pieces for him gutter systems to direct the exhaust straight to the ground or specifically away from the race official taking sound measurements. It doesn't look as good but maybe done correctly it could work. Nice thing about the supertrap system is the exhaust sound is tunable. Stick more metal disks in the system and I believe it gets deeper.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:31 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by don
Neal: I know, I know! At least on Audiworld we could get sound clips, haha.
Just FYI we will have sound clips of all the common systems on the ECR site when we start selling the mail order exhaust (Borla, NRP, stock, ours, etc).

In some things the Rover world is so far behind the times. Audi, Mustang, whatever... you are right, you can find audio clips and all of the different systems.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:17 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I have a dynomax muffler that I got used a while back and welded on. Louder than stock, less than Borla and I have been happy. Plus my 0-60 times went straight down from like 15 seconds to 14.99! ;-)
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:08 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

I have a Magnaflow, and like Chris' dynomax - it is louder than stock but not as loud as the Borla. I am pleased with it.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

I had 3" flowmaster 40 series=nice on the trail, too loud on highway.
Borla=hated it, too loud/resonated
NRP=Nice sound
Magnaflow=great sound
Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:29 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

I have a borla with RN supercat Y pipes and a K&N hi flow cone filter, I took the stock breather box off, and the sound if loud, deep and sweet. It is a little dronie when I sustain highway speeds. but, I think the difference in performance is well worth it.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I am really happy with my Magnaflow, I start to notice it when the RPMs climb past ~2200 on the interstate but its not bad, all the other noises drown it out. I have driven a truck with a Borla it didnt seem that loud to me. I think the Borla design is perfect. I dont think the NRP is any louder than the stock setup.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
No offense to those that do, but I do not care at all what my exhaust sounds like. Though the leak on the RR exhaust does save me from having to use the horn (as much) downtown. People hear me coming and get outta the way. Loud pipes DO save lives. Ha ha ha

The 3.0 on the 109 sounds like a Honda when it is revving high. (and when it is actually capable of running) I just picked a muffler that fit where it needed to go. Not saying I don't appreciate a good note but I'm really just happy if everything is working...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
I am really happy with my Magnaflow, I start to notice it when the RPMs climb past ~2200 on the interstate but its not bad, all the other noises drown it out. I have driven a truck with a Borla it didnt seem that loud to me. I think the Borla design is perfect. I dont think the NRP is any louder than the stock setup.
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:36 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Many thanks to everyone for the input - I really appreciate it and it definitely helps! I have some ideas on what direction I might go and will just add it to the "fix/upgrade list" that always seems to get bigger than smaller.

I like the idea of getting a audio clip of the different exhausts. I might do just that with mine using a tripod and a digital camcorder to capture the sound of the Borla.

Mike/ECR - sent you an email about the ROX setup - whenever you get a chance - thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
borla, exhaust