Exhaust leak - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 20th, 2004, 11:24 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Exhaust leak

I noticed while wheeling this weekend, as did others, that a faint blub-blub sound (no ping or knock) of a tell tale exhaust leak is coming from the passenger side of the engine. Upon inspection, I couldn't see any scorching or noticed any errant puffs of smoke/hot air. Any other method for finding the location of an exhuast leak? Under power, I can hear the leak at highway speed, and it's very, very recent.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

You can try the old "sniffer" method. Take a 12" or so piece of pipe and put a piece of flexible tubing on one end then literally sniff around, using the flexible tubing at your nose so you're not standing on your head. This is real old-timers method.

Eric
Old January 20th, 2004, 01:00 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I would wait and see where you can seen steam coming in the am warmup? that how i have diagnosed my "leak" gonna get a Borla.
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2004, 01:43 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Thanks Phil, I know it's right at the block, just not sure exactly where. I've been trying the early warmup method but haven't had much success yet.

I will give Eric's idea a try in the meantime. Nothing like killing a few more brain cells huffing the exhaust...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 20th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey Dave, Jimmy had the same problem. 2 of the bolts that hold the exhaust to the headers came off. We could not see it but if you put your hand down by it you could feel it. After the thrid bolt came off he lost allot of power but it sounded real good.
Old January 20th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Another option is to use the 12" or so pice of hose as a makeshift stethascope(sp). You hold one end to your ear and probe with the other with the engine running. you should hear the leak. It may also have slight black sooty color right at the leak. Every one I have ever encountered has. Good luck.
Old January 21st, 2004, 07:58 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Another option is to use the 12" or so pice of hose as a makeshift stethascope(sp). You hold one end to your ear and probe with the other with the engine running. you should hear the leak. It may also have slight black sooty color right at the leak. Every one I have ever encountered has. Good luck.
Old January 21st, 2004, 07:59 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Oops, sorry for the double post, not certain what happend here?
Old January 26th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

So what was it??????
Old January 26th, 2004, 10:42 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Not sure yet, I did some looking (sniffing/feeling/etc) over the weekend. But I didn't have enough time to really get into it. Maybe this weekend, on Sunday before the bowl starts. I'm surprised the ECU hasn't thrown any codes yet. It's definitely before the first O2 sensor on the pass side. It "looked" as though all of the proper bolts were in place through the assembly. But it's still audible and definitely exhuast related.

Old February 4th, 2004, 02:29 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Just an update. Hippert, I think you hit the nail on the head. the nuts holding the two bolts for the Y to the headers were extremely loose and ready to fall off given enough vibration.

At least it was an easy fix.

Old February 4th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Thats exactly what Jimmy had to fix. Although there were 3 bolts on his and I think there are 3 bolts on mine. Are you maybe missing one???
Old February 4th, 2004, 03:12 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Hmm, I'll have to check again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust