Exhaust Issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 24th, 2011, 11:41 AM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

Exhaust Issues

So lately 1997 d-90's exhaust is acting up. Sometimes at idle it sounds like a popcorn machine rumbling. Really annoying loud rumbling/popping noise that makes people stare at the car because its a strange noise. I've gotten underneath the car and its coming from the muffler. Sounds like something has come loose in there and the air/pressure is making it rattle and produces the popping noise. Its happening more frequently now and its driving me crazy. Its not the original muffler but it is stock because it still have a land Rover label on it. Not sure how old it is as I've only had my truck for 2 years.

So my question is this....should I stick with the stock one or is something else I can install that might give me better performance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
This has been beaten to death in other posts but I will bite because I am so excited.

Yesterday I had new stainless cats and a Stainless Magnaflow muffler installed. Fun... I don't know about increased performance but it sounds good when giving it gas. When I am at speed just cruizing along it sounds stock but when it is time to speed up you can hear it a bit. The truck now sounds like a truck and not a sewing machine.
Old February 25th, 2011, 02:15 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

The stuff rattling in your muffler is probably the former interior of your catalytics.
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_eaze View Post
So lately 1997 d-90's exhaust is acting up. Sometimes at idle it sounds like a popcorn machine rumbling. Really annoying loud rumbling/popping noise that makes people stare at the car because its a strange noise. I've gotten underneath the car and its coming from the muffler. Sounds like something has come loose in there and the air/pressure is making it rattle and produces the popping noise. Its happening more frequently now and its driving me crazy. Its not the original muffler but it is stock because it still have a land Rover label on it. Not sure how old it is as I've only had my truck for 2 years.

So my question is this....should I stick with the stock one or is something else I can install that might give me better performance?

I am only commenting on this because my 97 was making that same noise and I thought it was the A/C compressor. Turns out it was the alternator!!! I would have NEVER suspected an alternator would make such a noise! This "noise" could have thought to originate from an exhaust issue.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust