Exhaust backpressure - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 29th, 2009, 01:17 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Exhaust backpressure

I was thinking about removing my cat with a custom made midpipe. Has anyone tried this? I know some motors actually loose HP when you reduce backpressure but I'm not sure on the LR motor.

Thoughts?

Ideally, I want to dyno the truck with and without the pipe for curiosity sake.
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Motors do not lose power with less backpressure unless you're talking about a 2-stroke, but... it really depends on the fueling map and how adaptive it is. On the newest ones apparently they self-adapt fairly well but on the older ones you will likely need to re-map the ECU to see any real advantage but this is more generic information than you probably need. I would not expect any negative effects though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:30 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

How are you going to inspect a cat-less truck in the NYC area?
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Yeah, rather than de-catting you might want to just punch out all the clogged catalyst or even better fit a magnaflow cat.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, exhaust