Excessive heat in driver side foot well - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 9th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Excessive heat in driver side foot well

Since I purchased the D-90 two years ago I have dealt with excessive heat coming from the driver side foot well. However, there doesn’t seem to be any heat coming from the passenger side foot well. I was wondering if this is normal from your experience? Is the exaust system failing? I need help because it is very hot.
Thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Kinda sounds normal to me if you don't have carpet. Remember, Rovers are not built well.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Dave, LOL

Chris, does it seem to be comming from any one spot? Is the floor getting hot or is it hot air? to the left of the fuse box is a hole going through the fire wall, I would check to see that it is plugged. You may also want to pull up the floor matts and make sure the floor is screwed down and secure (no gaps). I have also found allot of heat comes out of the seat boxes if the cover is not on tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2005, 10:49 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Kinda sounds normal to me if you don't have carpet. Remember, Rovers are not built well.
Mine is built well, like a rock. It just lacks "creature comforts."
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:09 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I agree with Mike with checking around the area just to the left of the fuxe panel. In the summer time I have super hot air and in the winter cold air all blasting through a opening in the firewall where some cables go through. there should be a rubber gasket that helps plug that up.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old June 10th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Chris Vitale
Chris

I have never felt a draft down in the fool well, rather it's just extremely hot. I think it's coming up from the floor boards or trickling in from the hole in the firewall you mentioned. I will check it out and let you know what I discover. Thanks for the help!
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:04 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I also used to get a lot of heat coming up from the storage compartments under the seats.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:06 AM
javelinadave
-
-

I bought some outdoor carpet from Lowes and covered the seat box, floor and the transmission tunnel. It helped a lot with the heat and the noise................
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The drivers side catalytic convertor is a LOT closer to the floorboard than on the passenger side, and those things get HOT HOT HOT. Might want to try putting some heat shielding between the cat and the floor.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Now that you mention it Hans I thin on the tunnel there is some kind of faom down there on the bottome side. Could this have been removed from yours Chris?
Old June 10th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Try putting some heat shielding along the floor and firewall. I used some European brand that's escaping me, but Dynamat makes this as well. Unlike other vehicles, the Defender simply has none of the typical insulation. Placing this material over the floor, tunnel, and firewall underneath the rubber matting helps. You won't confuse it for a luxury car, but it no longer feels like a convection oven underneath the dash.
Old June 10th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

The double sides aluminum bubble wrap type stuff home depot sells works pretty well too, although I have not used any in places that you walk on.
Old June 10th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Now that you mention it Hans I thin on the tunnel there is some kind of faom down there on the bottome side. Could this have been removed from yours Chris?
I am not sure. I will have to get under her tonight and get back to you guys.
Thanks
Old June 10th, 2005, 03:30 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I get some warm drafts coming through from the drivers side seatbox cover - basically any place that isnt sealed up will admit warm air into the cabin.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:03 AM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

I just picked up my D90 a few weeks back, and my feet are baking as well. I am really feeling it coming in from the opening above the clutch pedal. Should this be sealed up, or is there someting I should look for?

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions