Defender Source Forum banner

Excessive heat in driver side foot well

12K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  JRW 
#1 ·
Since I purchased the D-90 two years ago I have dealt with excessive heat coming from the driver side foot well. However, there doesn’t seem to be any heat coming from the passenger side foot well. I was wondering if this is normal from your experience? Is the exaust system failing? I need help because it is very hot.
Thanks so much

#2 ·
Kinda sounds normal to me if you don't have carpet. Remember, Rovers are not built well.

#3 ·
Dave, LOL

Chris, does it seem to be comming from any one spot? Is the floor getting hot or is it hot air? to the left of the fuse box is a hole going through the fire wall, I would check to see that it is plugged. You may also want to pull up the floor matts and make sure the floor is screwed down and secure (no gaps). I have also found allot of heat comes out of the seat boxes if the cover is not on tight.

#5 ·
I agree with Mike with checking around the area just to the left of the fuxe panel. In the summer time I have super hot air and in the winter cold air all blasting through a opening in the firewall where some cables go through. there should be a rubber gasket that helps plug that up.

#6 ·
I have never felt a draft down in the fool well, rather it's just extremely hot. I think it's coming up from the floor boards or trickling in from the hole in the firewall you mentioned. I will check it out and let you know what I discover. Thanks for the help!

#7 ·
I also used to get a lot of heat coming up from the storage compartments under the seats.

#9 ·
The drivers side catalytic convertor is a LOT closer to the floorboard than on the passenger side, and those things get HOT HOT HOT. Might want to try putting some heat shielding between the cat and the floor.

-Hans

#11 ·
Try putting some heat shielding along the floor and firewall. I used some European brand that's escaping me, but Dynamat makes this as well. Unlike other vehicles, the Defender simply has none of the typical insulation. Placing this material over the floor, tunnel, and firewall underneath the rubber matting helps. You won't confuse it for a luxury car, but it no longer feels like a convection oven underneath the dash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.