Excessive exhaust 300 tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 1st, 2012, 09:53 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Excessive exhaust 300 tdi

Started the truck- got on the road. Started smoking wen I would accelerate. Has been doing this a bit when the engine is cold. Normally don't see much from the exhaust after it starts to warm up. Today it kept getting worse- to the point that it was just billowing smoke as I drove down the road and then constant but not bad at idle (red lights). But the truck would be surrounded in smoke at the light. Drove it 10 minutes tops- from start to stop. Let it sit for 30 minutes. Drove home no smoke. No loss of power or anything like that.

History: basically a new Tdi with all the work that has been done to the motor. Has 250 miles on it since the re-build, drove it 60 miles on the highway last week with no issues. At one point the turbo blew and was replaced before I got the truck back. This did cause it to puke oil out of the exhaust and so I have some residual oil in my tail pipe from this- but that has been there for the last 250 miles.

I did pressure wash the lower front end today- there was some oil on the frame so I wanted to wash it off and see if that was a new leak or an old one. Didn't wash the engine, just the frame and front wheels. Makes me think that somehow there was some water in the fuel that was burned out driving and that's why it didn't do it after sitting.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2012, 11:22 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Was the smoke white or black ?
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:48 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Don't you have a fuel filter? The fuel filter and sedimenter (if you have one) should both prevent water from ever going into the engine.
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:07 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
White not black. I do have a fuel filter.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 10:05 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
open the drain on the fuel filter and see if you get any water coming out. I think the stock filter will only separate water to the point when it is full. Turbo blew on a new engine? What up with that?
Old April 2nd, 2012, 10:10 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Thanks. Will try that.

Wasn't a new engine at the time, is basically new now.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:31 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The white smoke is likely incomplete combustion, running lean if you will. A likely culprit is a clogged full filter. It's surprising how fast a filter will clog up if something nasty gets into it. Diesel technicians, feel free to clarify or say something more productive, but when I see white smoke, I just change the filter. And make sure it's full of fuel and bled properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:36 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
when I see white smoke, I just change the filter. And make sure it's full of fuel and bled properly.
Just fill the filter up with a little ATF (basic type F) before putting it on, it'll clean everything out.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:52 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

White smoke is also an indication of water in the combustion chamber, via blown head gasket or cracked head or block. Smell the smoke and see if it smells like Radiator fluid. If so then that isn't good. Otherwise do as the guys said above and check the filter.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:33 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
It's not coolant. The motor was just completely rebuilt 250 miles ago so I can't imagine it would be a cracked head or block. Will be checking fuel filter tomorrow and then going from there.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:41 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
a diesel mechanic friend of mine has a saying; white smoke is a fuel problem, black smoke is an air problem

Sorry you are having so many issues after spending so much money. What did the shifting problem turn out to be ? You have what many to consider to be the ultimate drive train for reliability.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 2nd, 2012, 10:22 PM
Alex C
alex
1985 D90 200Tdi

Smoke

Check and make sure the vacuum advance is connected, their should be a small tube running from the top of the fuel pump to a T piece next to the turbo.

Have you checked the boost ?
Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:34 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
a diesel mechanic friend of mine has a saying; white smoke is a fuel problem, black smoke is an air problem

Sorry you are having so many issues after spending so much money. What did the shifting problem turn out to be ? You have what many to consider to be the ultimate drive train for reliability.
She hates me. That's the only explanation I have for this truck.

Transmission had a bad oil pump so it was running without any oil. Oops. Transmission was melted so it was replaced with another re-built one.

Hoping to figure out what the issue is tomorrow with the exhaust.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:43 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
White smoke is unburned fuel. Fuel that gets in when combustion is not possible. Either too late in the compression cycle or there is not enough compression to ignite the fuel.

Check timing first.
Old April 4th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Did you have the head pressure tested when you did the re-build?
Old April 4th, 2012, 12:58 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I believe it was pressure tested. Couldn't find a reason for this defiant behavior yesterday when we checked her out. Of course now she isn't doing it again. Figures right? She's my other toddler.
Old April 4th, 2012, 02:57 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
a diesel mechanic friend of mine has a saying; white smoke is a fuel problem, black smoke is an air problem.
Black smoke is too much fuel on a diesel - usually due to an "expert" tuning the injection pump for more power.
Old April 4th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Black smoke is too much fuel on a diesel - usually due to an "expert" tuning the injection pump for more power.
IE not enough air/boost to match fueling. On a Detroit where there is no pump its usually because of insufficient air ; ie filter clogged, turbo stuck, intercooler plugged up etc. One of the 8 liter engines on my boat was smoking and he was right, the water cooled aftercooler was clogged with soot. Cleared it and she's 100% again.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 4th, 2012, 04:41 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
IE not enough air/boost to match fueling. On a Detroit where there is no pump its usually because of insufficient air ; ie filter clogged, turbo stuck, intercooler plugged up etc. One of the 8 liter engines on my boat was smoking and he was right, the water cooled aftercooler was clogged with soot. Cleared it and she's 100% again.
Ahh, I was assuming that the easy things would be checked first

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, exhaust, tdi