EX MOD headlight replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 6th, 2014, 07:36 PM
slacker
don slack
1986 ex mod 110

Registry
EX MOD headlight replacement

Hi all- as we get less light I realize that my beloved defender has totally inadequate headlights. It is a tithonus ex MOD and i suppose they wanted the headlights to be dim. On bright, they are well, not... I see kits advertised to upgrade. Hella if I go with RN and a number of options across the pond. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2014, 07:57 PM
javelinadave
-
-

This will fix your dim light issue:
http://www.rallylights.com/hl281-tra...p-harness.html

Tell them it is for a Defender and they will custom make the length for the power wire for either the battery box or the starter lug. I went with the starter lug myself.
Old November 6th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Also install a relay in the circuit. Putting all those watts through the switch just sucks up the amps and watts.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eadlight+relay

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The first link is for a relay system. I would do that and some Hella ecode lights.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:12 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Or just install LED's which are a 10x improvement over any relay / Hella eCode option. The draw less current and can use the existing switch without issue.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:58 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
This will fix your dim light issue:
http://www.rallylights.com/hl281-tra...p-harness.html

Tell them it is for a Defender and they will custom make the length for the power wire for either the battery box or the starter lug. I went with the starter lug myself.
x2 I had one in my 90 and it made a WORLD of difference
Old November 7th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
Hi all- as we get less light I realize that my beloved defender has totally inadequate headlights. It is a tithonus ex MOD and i suppose they wanted the headlights to be dim. On bright, they are well, not... I see kits advertised to upgrade. Hella if I go with RN and a number of options across the pond. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
Don,

We have a few examples of various solutions in the shop if you make it down this way anytime. LED - I am testing some reasonably priced LED lamps on my 110, we have a customer project with a HID/relay setup, and I am running a standard H4 with relay on my 130.

Brian
Old November 7th, 2014, 02:19 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Here's what I did with my Tithonus:

- Pulled out the stock bulbs and housings
- Ordered new mounting hardware (tabs, bezel rings, mounting screws) from SafariHP
- Bought Hella H4 housings from Amazon http://amzn.com/B0002M9QJM
- Bought Hella bulbs from Amazon http://amzn.com/B000COBLJI
- Bought an ARB heavy duty relay harness http://www.quadratec.com/products/97018_2430.htm
- Bought a female headlight plug pigtail (the 3-bladed thing that attaches to the back of the headlight) from O'Reilly and bought some bullet connectors from British Wiring.

I powered up the ARB harness (mounted on the inner lip of the drivers side wing) from my Blue Sea Systems fuse panel.

The Tithonus stock headlight wiring uses bullet connectors, not the 3-spaded plugs like most H4 lights, so you have to make an adapter. I crimped bullet connectors onto the O'Reilly pigtail and plugged those bullets into the remains of the stock headlight wiring loom. What this does is provides power from the truck's headlight wiring to engage the ARB relays, which are connected to your new headlights.

Works like a champ. Now I have awesome headlights that still look proper for an ex-MOD truck.

If you want to swing down to Brian's shop or Tacoma, I'll show you how to do it. I have an extra pigtail that you can have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old November 12th, 2014, 12:21 PM
slacker
don slack
1986 ex mod 110

Registry
Thanks all, lots to consider. Brian, I will try to get down there. Interested in LED options
Old October 11th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Towns03
Townsend
'87 Defender 110

Question

What LED options work well? does anyone have a good rec?

TIA
Old October 11th, 2015, 05:13 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towns03 View Post
What LED options work well? does anyone have a good rec?

TIA
My question exactly...
Hoping the price will come down and technology and mass production comes into play.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 11th, 2015, 06:52 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
These are the ones I put on...I offered $220 which he took...

2X 0547891 Evolution Round 7" LED Headlight Black 97 14 for JK Jeep Wrangler TJ | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150627_163310.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	132038  

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old October 11th, 2015, 08:09 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I like my Hella e-code headlights and 100w bulbs.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 11th, 2015, 08:25 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Here's what I did with my Tithonus:

- Pulled out the stock bulbs and housings
- Ordered new mounting hardware (tabs, bezel rings, mounting screws) from SafariHP
- Bought Hella H4 housings from Amazon http://amzn.com/B0002M9QJM
- Bought Hella bulbs from Amazon Amazon.com: HELLA HLA-H83140141 H4 12V 100/55W Halogen Bulb Off Road Use: Automotive
- Bought an ARB heavy duty relay harness ARB M002 - ARB H4 Headlight Wire Loom Upgrade - Quadratec
- Bought a female headlight plug pigtail (the 3-bladed thing that attaches to the back of the headlight) from O'Reilly and bought some bullet connectors from British Wiring.

I powered up the ARB harness (mounted on the inner lip of the drivers side wing) from my Blue Sea Systems fuse panel.

The Tithonus stock headlight wiring uses bullet connectors, not the 3-spaded plugs like most H4 lights, so you have to make an adapter. I crimped bullet connectors onto the O'Reilly pigtail and plugged those bullets into the remains of the stock headlight wiring loom. What this does is provides power from the truck's headlight wiring to engage the ARB relays, which are connected to your new headlights.

Works like a champ. Now I have awesome headlights that still look proper for an ex-MOD truck.

If you want to swing down to Brian's shop or Tacoma, I'll show you how to do it. I have an extra pigtail that you can have.

I realize this is an older thread and lights continue to change rapidly. But this system is an awesome solution, and if you are put off by making the adaptor, Susquehanna makes it as well.

Old October 13th, 2015, 04:44 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

One thing I'd do, is make up a relay loom so that the light switch itself (either the military 6 way or the civvy 2 way) operates the relay, and the headlight gets a direct feed from the battery (via fuses) in bigger cable than LR fit....

This will make the light noticeably brighter.

also, some (not all) UK military LR headlights (and other vehicles) had "centre" aim lights, they don't dip to the left (or right) and as a result I figure weren't as bright as they could be so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic.

the reason the UK stuff is like that, is we drive on the correct side of the road; the rest of the world do it wrong so whenever mil vehicles went overseas on ex or during conflict, the lights were a kind of "one size fits all"
Old October 13th, 2015, 05:51 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Exactly what the Susquehanna kit does, and is plug and play- even allows proper length for remoteness of battery box.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, ht, mod