Ex MOD Filter Markings - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 17th, 2013, 05:43 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Ex MOD Filter Markings

Safe to assume the "101311" written in sharpie on the fuel filter and now found on the bottom of the air filter are likely the last dates the military refreshed them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Michael110
Michael Dickin
1986 110 Tithonus - Now Sadly Sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
Safe to assume the "101311" written in sharpie on the fuel filter and now found on the bottom of the air filter are likely the last dates the military refreshed them?
It would be a bit of an odd date, since usually we write dates as DDMMYY in the UK, meaning the it would have been replaced in the 13th month of the year, a bit special even for the MOD. If it were me I'd ignore all possible dates on service items and renew them anyway, you know for sure then.
Old May 17th, 2013, 06:54 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
It's actually 181011, but either way I totally agree and subscribe to the "start fresh" method... Which lead me to finding these identical numbers/dates on this stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2013, 07:41 PM
javelinadave
-
-

18 Oct, 2011 is my guess.
Old May 17th, 2013, 07:43 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Time to change EVERYTHING!! Lol
Old May 18th, 2013, 02:30 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Probably mileage (or kilometer-age, as MoD vehicles usually have KPH speedo's as UK maps are in metric meters, so makes map reading easier)
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:38 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Must be date. Odometer is in kilometers but it reads 68,xxx kilometers. I ended up with a pretty low mileage/kilo ex mod truck for sure.
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:42 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
Must be date. Odometer is in kilometers but it reads 68,xxx kilometers. I ended up with a pretty low mileage/kilo ex mod truck for sure.
Mine read about 1000 KM. I guess sometimes they get replaced.

Rovahfarm shows a mph version for about $200 new, I've been tempted.... But not enough.
Old May 18th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Michael110
Michael Dickin
1986 110 Tithonus - Now Sadly Sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
Mine read about 1000 KM. I guess sometimes they get replaced.

Rovahfarm shows a mph version for about $200 new, I've been tempted.... But not enough.
They get replaced fairly commonly. I see a lot of vendors selling 25yr old MOD Land Rovers claiming a few tens of thousands of KM on them. If you think about it its just not very likely that a land rover in military service will do only a couple of thousand KM a year. In actual fact with MOD vehicles mileage is completely irrelevant, and inspected condition is much more important. I very much doubt any military land rover leaves service with the same engine, gearbox, axles or even seats it was made with. The same type of parts yes, but the individual parts themselves no way. Mine came with 54,000km on the odometer, but I bet it's done closer to 200,000km.
Old May 18th, 2013, 11:49 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael110 View Post

They get replaced fairly commonly. I see a lot of vendors selling 25yr old MOD Land Rovers claiming a few tens of thousands of KM on them. If you think about it its just not very likely that a land rover in military service will do only a couple of thousand KM a year. In actual fact with MOD vehicles mileage is completely irrelevant, and inspected condition is much more important. I very much doubt any military land rover leaves service with the same engine, gearbox, axles or even seats it was made with. The same type of parts yes, but the individual parts themselves no way. Mine came with 54,000km on the odometer, but I bet it's done closer to 200,000km.
Yep. And mine being a radio truck, the miles wouldn't matter much anyway as it would be sitting at fast idle for hours running the 24v generator, wearing the engine but gathering no miles. I know my engine was replaced, because there is a plate on it that says so. Other things obviously look newer than others, like you said, things like seats and ball joint.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions