ex-mod exhaust - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 27th, 2013, 11:51 AM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
ex-mod exhaust

I'm still running the stock 2.5NA in my ex-mod and wanted to have it gone through as it may be a while before I get to replace it. The diesel techs i spoke with advised to ditch the stock exhaust, which has what appears to be 3 mufflers and a small diameter, and go with a larger straight pipe to the rear.

Would ditching the restriction help or hinder my little diesel? Anyone else go away from the stock exhaust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2013, 12:13 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
With diesels bigger is better. I run a straight pipe on my 200tdi with no muffler at all. I figured that I'd give that a try and could always add a muffler later if I didn't like it. I found that it isn't really that loud. Then again, the turbocharger probably has a muffling effect.

I don't think you'll see much performance improvement though, so unless your existing system needs repair, I'd save the coin. If you do an engine swap in the future, you'll end up re-doing it anyway.
Old September 27th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
I don't think you'll see much performance improvement though, so unless your existing system needs repair, I'd save the coin. If you do an engine swap in the future, you'll end up re-doing it anyway.
ditto...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2013, 05:21 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You can go a head and do the strait pipe exhaust and adapt it to a 200-300tdi later. I wouldn't expect a increase in performance although with a aftermarket air filter and a bigger exhaust you might see a very little increase. Maybe!!
Old September 28th, 2013, 12:40 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Some of the military exhausts were specified with anti-spark mufflers. These were fitted right near the tail pipe (looked like a catylist, with tapered ends) and as its name suggests, stopped sparks from exiting the tail pipe if the vehicle was near fuel and other flammable stuff.

Not sure how much this thing restricted the engine, but with that 2.5NA, you could do with any little help, so a free-er flowing Tdi system would help. you could just have one silencer in it, wouldn't be much noisier and would be more flowing.
Old September 29th, 2013, 01:05 AM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

The 2.5na needs a muffler, I'm running a stupid little one on my 2.5na and god it is noisy. You can only get away with no muffler if you have a turbo, it muffles a lot of the noise.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust, mod