Ex-MOD Chassis - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 22nd, 2013, 04:11 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Ex-MOD Chassis

I have read that the military 110s have a heavier-duty chassis than the civilian trucks. I don't trust the source of this information so I want to put it out here for someone with first-hand experience who really knows.

Is there a difference between the frames and if so, what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2013, 04:19 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Not unless you're referring to TUL/TUM wolfs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 04:31 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoversNorth View Post
Not unless you're referring to TUL/TUM wolfs.
I'm looking at Tithonus 110s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2013, 04:36 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

IIRC Tithonus models are just reconditioned MoD trucks, not positive if they are all standard MoDs or if some are Wolfs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 04:59 PM
Michael110
Michael Dickin
1986 110 Tithonus - Now Sadly Sold

Registry
The Tithonus 110's are certainly not Wolf vehicles, even if the roll cage, top, and wheels make them look that way. While the military series III chassis was heavy duty compared to the civilian series III, the military 110 and the civilian 110 chassis are very similar, for comparable age vehicles that is. That said, the MOD 110s are often better looked after mechanically than their civilian counterparts, and the Tithonus project refurbished 110s seem to be the pick of the bunch, the chassis in mine appears near perfect, unlike the pile of rust I took off my '94 Defender I rebuilt back in the UK.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:33 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael110 View Post
The Tithonus 110's are certainly not Wolf vehicles, even if the roll cage, top, and wheels make them look that way. While the military series III chassis was heavy duty compared to the civilian series III, the military 110 and the civilian 110 chassis are very similar, for comparable age vehicles that is. That said, the MOD 110s are often better looked after mechanically than their civilian counterparts, and the Tithonus project refurbished 110s seem to be the pick of the bunch, the chassis in mine appears near perfect, unlike the pile of rust I took off my '94 Defender I rebuilt back in the UK.
That's consistent with my understanding as well. Tithonus is a refurbished 110 with cage, plastic hard top, Wolf spec wheels, acoustic mats, Defender seats. The purpose was to extend service life another 10 years.

It isn't a Wolf spec and therefore would not have the upgraded Wolf spec chassis (or the 300tdi....).

It is logical to assume that the vehicles chosen for this extensive refurbishment would have been in good condition to begin with.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 03:02 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Nah, the normal "core" military defender ("core" being what they referred to as the bog standard 2.5 NAD 90 or 110 hard top or soft top vehicle) had the exact same chassis as the civilian ones.

The "wolf" XD, and the armoured Northern Ireland type Snatch or otehr armoured trucks had the HD chassis.

However.... some contract numbers did call for a HD chassis on the core defenders. don't know how many though. I have some paperwork here I can check out if you send me some details.

For the armoured versions, the HD modifications are welded on strips top and bottom of the chassis rails (these are available as parts in the parts books) and reinforcement around the springs mounts, plus a few other brackets and bits.
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:38 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Thanks, guys. I'm just doing some budgeting for the Tithonus truck that I'm planning on purchasing soon and I wasn't sure about the frame. If the chassis on my future truck is crappy, I wanted to budget in a new galvy unit but wasn't sure if the standard frame and bulkhead match up with the stuff RN sells.

It sounds like the Tithonus frames that Witham sells are pretty nice and a swap won't be necessary.
Old February 28th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Michael110
Michael Dickin

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Thanks, guys. I'm just doing some budgeting for the Tithonus truck that I'm planning on purchasing soon and I wasn't sure about the frame. If the chassis on my future truck is crappy, I wanted to budget in a new galvy unit but wasn't sure if the standard frame and bulkhead match up with the stuff RN sells.

It sounds like the Tithonus frames that Witham sells are pretty nice and a swap won't be necessary.
I don't think you will have a problem with a Tithonus chassis, although I have seen photos of Tithonus 110's Withams have sold as seen at auction with rust problems, although in my experience Withams are pretty honest about what they sell. Mine was advertised as having a solid chassis and it certainly appears that way. The rear cross member I think has even been replaced as it appears just a little too perfect for 26 years old, but I can't fault the repair job, looks better than the factory welding. Saying that though, I do like Richard's Chassis galvanised units, bought one back in the UK to replace my 90's totally rotten chassis and it was a beautiful thing to behold!
Old February 28th, 2013, 12:50 AM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
what about this chassis?

https://secure.pablanchard.co.uk/spares.asp

says heavy duty?
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Michael110
Michael Dickin

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstahl3 View Post
what about this chassis?

https://secure.pablanchard.co.uk/spares.asp

says heavy duty?
It is my understanding that the military V8 used a heavy duty chassis, rather than the standard chassis. The standard pre XD ("wolf") military land rover used a 2.5NA. The V8 was used for special duty vehicles, such as the "Snatch" armoured variant developed for use in Northern Ireland, and also strangely the Royal Marines used some V8 engined land rovers, odd really given the V8's disliking for water.

So yes, that chassis at Blanchards would be heavy duty as its for a V8, but note, its still not the same as the current Defender XD chassis.
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:56 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I don't think HD guarantees it's going to be in good shape anyway. I'd get someone to go look at the Tithonus truck you are considering beforehand, and send you detailed pictures so you can decide for yourself.
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:32 AM
sammyboyv8
Sam
1968 & 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
Nah, the normal "core" military defender ("core" being what they referred to as the bog standard 2.5 NAD 90 or 110 hard top or soft top vehicle) had the exact same chassis as the civilian ones.

The "wolf" XD, and the armoured Northern Ireland type Snatch or otehr armoured trucks had the HD chassis.

However.... some contract numbers did call for a HD chassis on the core defenders. don't know how many though. I have some paperwork here I can check out if you send me some details.

For the armoured versions, the HD modifications are welded on strips top and bottom of the chassis rails (these are available as parts in the parts books) and reinforcement around the springs mounts, plus a few other brackets and bits.

They also had extra gussets inside the chassis rails, I cut one up to build into a spaceframe not long back for a friend, these gussets are placed midway down the chassis and by front and rear suspension mounts

Atb

Sam.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mod