EVO kit and exhaust mods. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 14th, 2010, 11:51 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

EVO kit and exhaust mods.

So I've been driving around with my EVO kit installed though the summer and I've been happy as a clam! (why are clams so happy?)
Anyway the additional torque has allow me to shift sooner and increased my fuel economy from about 22 to 26 MPG and I can almost keep up with most minvans (3.0L versions) if I try hard!
Yesterday I had a straight through 2.5" exhaust put on the truck. It was late when I went to pick it up so no test driving until this morning.
I can't really hear the exhaust note above the engine until about 65 MPH, I know it's there, and I suspect it's pretty loud as nobody chose to tailgate me this morning (added benefit?). I do intend to put a high flow muffler on it eventually as I figure it will become noisy with the rear windows open.
But enough of fun noises, the performance gain was impressive! The smoothness and torque of the EVO turbo mod was significantly enhanced by the addition of a non restrictive exhaust, enough for me to say "wow!" while driving the daily early morning trek.
Along with this mod I have recently installed one of Pendy's full size aluminum radiators to compliment the exsiting full width IC. Normally a long run at 80 MPH will drive the temps to about 210 on a 90 degree day. With the addition of the rad I saw no more than 190 doing the same circuit. Once I work this setup and become confident about it's performance numbers I will install the Pendy flex fan and see how low we can go!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I wonder if it's comparable/better than my Equipe mid-silencer...

I never felt any improvement when played with exaust...
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old September 14th, 2010, 12:56 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

nice! congrats on the new-found power!
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2010, 11:40 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Oh! I forgot to mention. The new rad requires an external oil cooler which I haven't installed yet..

Old September 14th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
would 3 inch be better than 2.5 ? I had a 2.5 on my 110 but got talked into a 'free flow" muffler

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 15th, 2010, 12:04 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

The down pipe from the turbo is about 2.5, I really don't think it would make much difference, more noise and more trouble for the guy bending the pipe. It's a theory that once you build too big of an exhaust you start loosing too much heat from the head, diesels like some heat in the head to improve combustion.

Old September 15th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
In a 130 that exhaust tip is a long way back-noise isn't much of a concern with these anyway. Definately want to go straight pipe.
Whats going on with that 90 ? shoot me an email.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 12th, 2010, 10:05 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

So I had a few seconds of spare time today and decided to mess with my IP a bit. Staying a bit conservative I clicked the smoke screw clockwise 6 clicks. I then turned in the maximum fuel screw in one turn.
Fantastic! It's a bit smoky so I'll kick it back a bit I think. The power increase was impressive! Just as I pushed it a bit to see how the full throttle setting felt "varoom!" but we weren't moving any faster!?!?! Subsequent hard acceleration tests showed that indeed the clutch is slipping......
Crap... We leave Saturday for the Rally.
This is a leason in denial, I knew it wasn't a good clutch, I figured I could make it another half a year....

Old October 12th, 2010, 10:10 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I might have something for you if you are in a pinch.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:21 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks jim,

But you see that denial has me covered, I figured the clutch was going so I have the parts sitting there waiting to be installed.... Snickering at me.. The job starts today.

Old October 13th, 2010, 11:26 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
I might have something for you if you are in a pinch.
Dang, he is alive.....PM sent.

KAA
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:50 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Yes he does pop his head out once in a while.. Kinda like Whack a Mole.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust, kit, mod