Ever heard of a warped hub? (not rotor).. possible causes? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 19th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Ashek
Ashek
87 110

Ever heard of a warped hub? (not rotor).. possible causes?

So, long story short, im 99% sure the hub on my salisbury is warped.
What could cause this? from what I can tell, its cast with machined surfaces, studs pressed in, but is otherwise one lump of metal. So rust building and pushing on parts is unlikely, and it seems beefy enough that heat wouldn't distort it all that much. Nothing that matters moves and wears out, everyone that does is either pressed in or bolted on, right?

Has ANYONE come across an actual warped hub before?

Details:

Salisbury: Originally drum, converted to disk by previous owner (thank god for paperwork).
Parts on axle:
Caliper: STC1268/9 (110 calipers)
Stub: FRC8540 (original from drum brake)
Hub: FRC6139 (90/110 fronts)
Disk: FTC1381 (90 rears)

How is it warped:
Runout / deflection at the rotor is about 33thou (should be no more than 7)
Runout / deflection at the hub's outer face (outside of studs) is 15thou (should be 0)
Deflection gets increased the bigger the circle, so i dont think its the rotors (same amount on all 3)

What I've tried:
Swapped new rotors, same thing (tried 2 different rotors)
Swapped in new bearings / races, same thing (tried 2x sets, verified surfaces didn't have crap in them that might make the race not sit flush)
Swapped left and right hubs (thinking it was the stub axle), same thing, problems follows hub across to the other side, 'true' hub is true on both sides.

Why its a problem / wear noticed:
Since I've had it (7 years), the inside rear brake pads (both sides) have worn down at significantly higher rates that the outside ones.
The rotor, as it rotates, rubs on the caliper body, causing an annoying low speed squeak (which goes away on pedal depression) but also rubs up against the inside pad, which causes that wheel to slow down, which causes the half shafts to walk relative to each other, and wear out the outside splines prematurely (I've replaced 3 on one side so far because of splines (now better lubricated, but still).
So, its annoying, its wearing out parts, and it just doesn't sit right with me.
The other side is pretty true (3 thou deflection).

From what I've searched, this isn't common (rotors, sure, but hubs?).
Getting a new one is the obvious next step but they are pricey...and if something caused the hub to warp, i wanna fix that too.

Anyone seem anything like this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2016, 02:08 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
I think it was Bill Davis at GBR that talked with me about how/why this happens. Since I don't recall all the details I would suggest giving him a call and asking the question. Drew
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old April 19th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
So get a new hub. You've clearly determined it is bent. They look like they are $70 or so new in the UK. Maybe double with shipping. Sorry, see you are in Canada, so $100 in Canadian Pesos.

Or find a used one locally. Lots of Defenders around western Canada being parted out.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Ashek
Ashek
87 110

Well yes, obviously I need a new one (trying to source on locally first), but the question remains, How did it get bent, and is it that common for them to 'go bad'?.

Possibly badly machined from the get go, and has been like that since '02 when the disc conversion took place...
Old April 19th, 2016, 02:32 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorUtah View Post
I think it was Bill Davis at GBR that talked with me about how/why this happens. Since I don't recall all the details I would suggest giving him a call and asking the question. Drew
Just be prepared to listen for 45 minutes to the history about how Land Rover worked with General Motors and the Luxembourg Army to develop the hub which was derived from a Swiss design commonly used on Namibian farm equipment, but GM didn't get the metallurgy right and it ended up warping at high temperatures--a problem that wasn't noticed because the Luxembourg Army is primarily a cold weather force...and how the Israeli Defense Forces corrected this deficiency with an improved hot weather design which is really rare and hard to find but Bill has a pair that you can have for $1200.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old April 19th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is not common. Who knows what happened. Fix it, move on, worry about the next failure next week.

FRC6139 - Hub and Stud Assembly Front 90/110 to KA930455

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 19th, 2016, 04:22 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It is not common. Who knows what happened. Fix it, move on, worry about the next failure next week.

FRC6139 - Hub and Stud Assembly Front 90/110 to KA930455
Best answer yet. It's an old car and stuff happens. Sounds like a cheap replacement fix too.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old April 21st, 2016, 06:15 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Just be prepared to listen for 45 minutes to the history about how Land Rover worked with General Motors and the Luxembourg Army to develop the hub which was derived from a Swiss design commonly used on Namibian farm equipment, but GM didn't get the metallurgy right and it ended up warping at high temperatures--a problem that wasn't noticed because the Luxembourg Army is primarily a cold weather force...and how the Israeli Defense Forces corrected this deficiency with an improved hot weather design which is really rare and hard to find but Bill has a pair that you can have for $1200.
I actually like Bill's sermons. I make sure to call about whatever it is while I'm driving somewhere and by the time i'm off the phone i'm into the next state and I have some shiny new bits coming for the truck.
Old April 21st, 2016, 06:19 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Hope you got your hub sorted.
I will say as Chris did, call Bill and talk about prop shafts, I think we talked for over an hour on that one.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions