Eternal Gas Pumping - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 11th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Eternal Gas Pumping

Do all Defenders take forvever to fill the gas tank?

Whenever I am refueling my D90 the back-pressure builds and triggers the gas pump shut-off (used to avoid over filling the tank). The only way I can refuel is to hold the gas pump handle lever at the lowest possible point so the volume of gas entering the tank does not back-up and trigger the automatic shut off valve. This takes about 10 minutes!

Is it just me?

Thanks,

Greg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Greg,

One thing about the Defender......is that you live at the gas station. I have never noticed this happening to me at the pump. Maybe other D-90 owners can tell you why it might be happening or have experienced this before........

Flagg

ps - any other owners add a bigger gas tank.......I was always told the D-90 had such a small, flat tank for ground clearance. Is this the reason? I wish it had a 30 gallon tank. We would spend just as much in gas - only we would stop one half as much.........
Old April 11th, 2006, 03:46 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
Greg,

One thing about the Defender......is that you live at the gas station. I have never noticed this happening to me at the pump. Maybe other D-90 owners can tell you why it might be happening or have experienced this before........

Flagg

ps - any other owners add a bigger gas tank.......I was always told the D-90 had such a small, flat tank for ground clearance. Is this the reason? I wish it had a 30 gallon tank. We would spend just as much in gas - only we would stop one half as much.........
actually you'd wind up spending a bit less if you where the type that drives all over town looking for the cheapest gas!

The yj series wranglers where notorious for this problem too, it's just a poor design...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Never had that problem. Is the breather hose clogged?
Old April 11th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Jerry
Jerry Silverman
97 D-90 SW

I had the same exact problem with my 96 Disco, never with my 97 d-90.
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Breather hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
Never had that problem. Is the breather hose clogged?
I will check the breather hose tonight . . . awe hell, I should leave work now to check it before the sun goes down.

I purchased this Defender from a guy in Florida and I have found an excessive amount of dried mud throughout the frame and in all sorts of places, so who knows what else could be clogged.
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:25 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
I just got back from a 4,000 mile round the country trip in my 95 and ran into this only once getting gas in TN. I pulled the pump nozzle out a small bit and it ran full tilt after that. *shrug* Man, now that I think about it, I stopped a lot for gas.
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Tried that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolvedic
I just got back from a 4,000 mile round the country trip in my 95 and ran into this only once getting gas in TN. I pulled the pump nozzle out a small bit and it ran full tilt after that. *shrug* Man, now that I think about it, I stopped a lot for gas.
I tried every position, all the way in, all the way out (makes a mess), upside down, at an angle, pointed down, pointed up, to the left, to the right.

I am pretty sure it is not the pump, or the angle of the dangle (so to speak).
Old April 11th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Never had that issue myself either. Sounds like something is blocked somewhere.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 11th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Never had the premature shut-off problem, but definitely agree we could use larger tanks. I've got a 10-gallon auxiliary tank under the passenger seat, but would love even more. There was some talk in the past of engineering a larger tank that could fit in basically the same space as stock, just used more efficiently. Don't know what ever came of that....
Old April 11th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Thats common on d1's. There is a mod to the filler neck that helps. If you want I can try to find it.
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Trevor,

What did it involve for you to get that 10 gallon talk under the seat? How do you fill it? Do you have a switch on the dash to switch to it (like the old Jags did)? Is it safe?

Just curious - this seams like a great use of space to me......

Flagg
Old April 12th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

My tank is available as a kit from Rover Accessories. It includes a second recessed filler, pretty much identical to stock, which requires some bodywork to mount. A transfer pump moves gas from this tank to the main tank. So fuel flow to the engine is through your existing fuel pump. There is no guage to read fuel level. If you accidentally transfer fuel after the main tank is already full, the gas just recirculates back into the auxiliary tank. It seems safe to me.

And, I'd consider it probably the most useful mod I've made to the truck, simply because cutting my gas-station stop almost in half is a big plus onroad and off.

Trevor
Old April 12th, 2006, 01:18 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
was it hard to move all the electrics out of the seat space?
Old April 12th, 2006, 01:20 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
You can get a custom tank made for 9 gallons and keep the seat space. I thought only the '97 had an ECU there.
Old April 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

My tank mounts below the under-seat compartment, so nothing needs to be moved (and you don't lose that storage space). It's bottom side is angled, so it slopes down from your side-sill to the frame, not really impairing ground clearance.
Old April 12th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Trevor,

How much did this kit cost - both parts and installation? Can you provide a web page link for this product? I have never heard of this, and it seems like a great idea.

I wish the D-90 had just came with this option..........seems like a great use for that almost usless space under the passenger seat........

Flagg
Old April 12th, 2006, 03:28 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
Trevor,

How much did this kit cost - both parts and installation? Can you provide a web page link for this product? I have never heard of this, and it seems like a great idea.

I wish the D-90 had just came with this option..........seems like a great use for that almost usless space under the passenger seat........

Flagg
so this tank is external to the body?

my FJ had a gas tank under the passanger seat, it was the first thing to get tossed! great space for a dual battery tray!
I don't think i'd ever trust a tank inside the body of a vehicle. and doubt you could even legally do it nowadays anyway
Old April 12th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Gas tanks under the seats leave me feeling a little wary, too.

While I don't know for certain, one could imagine LR felt the same way after seeing the GM side saddle truck tank debacle. You would think the tank placement had safety reg considerations.

My non running M38A1 has the tank under the driver. When the day comes that jeep sees the road again, I won't be traveling by interstate (even if it could go above 60).
Old April 12th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Yes, the tank is external to the body. It's mounted between the frame and my Safari Gard heavy-duty rockslider, which will stop alot. I purchased mine on eBay from a previous owner who'd never installed it, and did most of the installation myself (everything except the bodywork and painting). Rover Accessories hasn't added them to their new website (http://www.roveraccessories.com/index.htm), so I'm not positive whether or not they're still available. I think their price was somewhere in the $750-$950 range.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas