Espar as PRIMARY heater for D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 16th, 2008, 11:35 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Espar as PRIMARY heater for D90

I know there is a lot of information regarding Espar and similar pre-heaters both hydronic and airtronic.

My question is a little different. Has anyone ever "replaced" the OEM heater box with the Espar??

In addition to supplying primary heat it would obviously also be nice cabin pre-heater for cold days. I would keep the "vent" controls, ie controlling diverter for defroster versus footwell.

I know I could do BOTH but I would prefer to save space and just use the Espar if it is possible. I don't have AC and don't plan on using it but this would not prevent the install of AC in the future.

What does everyone think??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2008, 06:26 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Is this a bad idea to do......what do people think?

Anyone with or without Espar's....chime in.
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I dunno but since the heater core is out in my rangie I am all ears.

Ron
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2008, 07:45 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

I was thinking of mounting it in same/similar position as original box. It looks like simple install as it splices into the fuel line and has air intake/exhaust right there in engine bay. They have several adapters and hoses that pick up and deliver the heat where you want. I was thinking of blanking off the bulkead where the current heater dumps in heated air and then using their kit to go through the blanking kit.

The heat operates independent of the engine and can run 24 hours on a gallon. Nice to know if you were ever stranded in cold weather you could just shut down your engine and still keep warm in the cabin.

Also nice for cold weather days without having to rely on remote start of engine which I never found to operate very well. The remote system on this is supposed to be very reliable.

What I don't know is hwo much air can it move, ie how hard does it blow? Is it more/less than what is in there now??
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You could. I'm not sure a 2 kW airtronic puts out as much heat or enough heat. A 1 kW would not be close to large enough. You would also be wasting fuel. The coolant heater is using waste heat which is basically "free". I would do both. If I had a 110, I would almost certainly go that route in my climate.

Use the normal heater for heat when running, defrost and for bringing in fresh air. Setup the airtronic on a thermostat to recirculate air only. It can pre-heat the cab, and supply extra heat when needed.
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:56 PM
xrover
Len Cater
1997 D90

not sure I would use it as my primary heat since it does cost money to run vs the lost heat from the engine. I had a webasto in my 110 and mounted it in the tool box ('83) and blew the air into the second row seats. It made a ton of difference for the passengers.
Old March 8th, 2009, 10:34 AM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Did you go through with this plan? If so, how did it work out?
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:32 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Have not done it as it is getting diesel conversion soon. I am going to keep both and try splicing heat output from Espar into the plenum.

Best option is to direct vent to defroster vents and foot vents with 2" tubing....this has been discussed. Does anyone have a source for vent diverter controls (valves) that work electronically (avoiding cables)??????
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:57 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
What are you going to do with the v8?

Follow-up Post:

Wait, which truck is getting a diesel? Matt's old truck?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 9th, 2009, 12:25 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Yes.....Matt's "old" truck is getting HS2.8 diesel conversion.

Was planning on selling the V8 as it is literally almost brand new (less than 1,000 miles). This engine is a 4.6 with the 4.2 chip (also have a 4.6 remap chip from UK) and has the ceramic coated manifolds, powdercoated intake and valve covers, new Piper cam, new timing chain, new lifters/pushrods, Mallory distributor, Magnacore 8.5 wires, MSD coil, NGK plugs, new water pump, new regulator, new power steering pump, stainless power steering line, stainless oil cooler lines, and new alternator.

Also, have a custom high performance radiator (Ron Davis) specifically made for the D90.

Here is some pics in case anyone forgot what it looked like.

Did I just hijack my own thread?!?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Enginecenter.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	18204   Click image for larger version

Name:	28193DT-2-CUSTOM.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	18205  

Old March 9th, 2009, 12:28 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I helped you hijack it. I'd be interested in knowing what you want to get for the motor.

Old March 9th, 2009, 12:36 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Will rely on person doing the conversion to determine what price is fair.......market will ultimately decide.....otherwise it is worthless paperweight to me. Open to suggestions on what it should be.

Willing to part out other bits, ie custom radiator and 4.6 chip upgrade. Also have an "overbored" plenum from UK. Was going to hold out to sell as a "package" as it would be easier and more attractive to person buying the engine.
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I could be interested in the package depending on price. I'll PM you and we can discuss.

Old March 9th, 2009, 01:09 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo
Have not done it as it is getting diesel conversion soon. I am going to keep both and try splicing heat output from Espar into the plenum.

Best option is to direct vent to defroster vents and foot vents with 2" tubing....this has been discussed. Does anyone have a source for vent diverter controls (valves) that work electronically (avoiding cables)??????
What I am planning on doing is using the Espar/Wabesto as a foot heater, mount it under the 'drivers' seat (the right hand one, not where the batteries are), then plumb it to allow vents to be opened in both the front and rear of the seat-box on both sides, I figure that since I'll be sleeping in the vehicle from time to time in the winter that having it more centrally located will help warm things a bit more evenly, and if the dash heat isn't enough it could also be fired up while driving.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, heater