Erratic Electrical Headaches with Headlights, Blinkers and High Beams - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 18th, 2014, 08:27 PM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

Erratic Electrical Headaches with Headlights, Blinkers and High Beams

When I bought my truck a couple of weeks ago everything worked beautifully. Headlights, flashers, brights, and blinkers all worked.

A few weeks later and here are my problems:

1. Left headlight stopped working. Swapped front left and right headlights and still nothing to the left headlight. Brights worked fine, so I drove with brights on at night.

2. Around the same time blinkers went out. Hazards worked, but blinkers didn't. No power to the blinker fuses.

3. Then I sprayed some wd40 into the military headlight switch and both headlights worked! So switch must be the problem.

4. One day later, I'm back to only right headlight working. And now, as an added bonus, only the left high beam is working. It looks like I'm getting power to all the headlight and high beam fuses on both sides of the fuses.

I've read that hazard switches or relays can cause the blinker problems and those parts are cheap so I'm going to order both.

I tested behind the headlight that wasn't working and it was getting a low volt signal (2-3v or something).

Anything I should look for? Could it be the blinker switch on the steering column which is giving me grief since I'm having blinker and high beam issues?

Yours truly,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2014, 09:20 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
I vaguely remember having a problem like this with a truck I had back in the UK. I think the fuse panel itself was having an issue. Random stuff stopped working like headlights and tail lights and when you tried to use turn signals it would buzz obnoxiously. I would normally be able to look in my records but I sold the truck to another friend so I can't tell you exactly what the problem was but I'm 85-90% sure it was something with the fuse panel.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old January 18th, 2014, 09:49 PM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
I vaguely remember having a problem like this with a truck I had back in the UK. I think the fuse panel itself was having an issue. Random stuff stopped working like headlights and tail lights and when you tried to use turn signals it would buzz obnoxiously. I would normally be able to look in my records but I sold the truck to another friend so I can't tell you exactly what the problem was but I'm 85-90% sure it was something with the fuse panel.
Ok. I'll give it a close look next. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2014, 03:54 AM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
similar experience

Spammer, I had a similar experience - when I took possession of my 1988 110 everything but my horn and rear fog lamp worked. Since then I've had a few really erratic headlight/blinker/brake light issues.

While it can be many things in my case it was the wiring and in particular my grounds.

For all the lights the key grounds seem to be shared and are in the wiring clusters behind the headlights in the wings and in the rear corners behind the rear light access covers.

I have been upgrading lts to LEDS, replacing indicator lamps etc and every time I pull apart one of those land rover connectors (especially the grounds (black wires)) there is dirt and corrosion. As a matter of practice now whenever I have reason to go into any of my wiring I pull apart the plug connectors and clean all the connections. Sometimes the copper wire is black and oxidized at the connector so I replace the connector.

In my backup light assembly the contacts in the bulb socket were also oxidized. Also my horn never worked until I did some trouble shooting and it turned out to be the same thing - a bad ground.

On another note I replaced the red lens in my rear fog light with clear and wired it to my back up light so now I have two backup lts in the rear and lots of light.

I also had some oxidation on the fuse sockets and used some scotchbrite to clean those off as well.
Old January 19th, 2014, 05:14 AM
rivermike
Michael
2008 LHD Tdci 110 Keswick Green

Is this on a Tithonus with the large military switch in the console on the dash ?

The military light switch has various functions and some of them disconnect the horn as well.

This is what the military light swicth does.

OFF: All lights are off.
CONV: Convoy light only.
SCONV: Convoy and side lights.
T: Tail and rear number plate lights.
ST: Side, tail and rear number plate lights.
HST: Head, side, tail and rear number plate lights.

As for your indicators check the fuses first a very simple thing to check but easily over looked.
If the fuses are ok turn the indicators on and rotate the military light switch to all positions to see if it works IIRC with the convoy on the indicators are disconnected so will not work so preventing accidental opperation.
If still no luck treat it like a normal series III and check the indicator stalk is working properly and the indicator relay.
If that does nothing check the bulbs and earths.
If that does not work you could have a damaged loom or faulty military light switch.

The Tithonus wiring is different from the Defender models.

You can also pull the dash, take out the military wiring switch and replace it with a std Defender light switch on the column.

Rivermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammer View Post
When I bought my truck a couple of weeks ago everything worked beautifully. Headlights, flashers, brights, and blinkers all worked.

A few weeks later and here are my problems:

1. Left headlight stopped working. Swapped front left and right headlights and still nothing to the left headlight. Brights worked fine, so I drove with brights on at night.

2. Around the same time blinkers went out. Hazards worked, but blinkers didn't. No power to the blinker fuses.

3. Then I sprayed some wd40 into the military headlight switch and both headlights worked! So switch must be the problem.

4. One day later, I'm back to only right headlight working. And now, as an added bonus, only the left high beam is working. It looks like I'm getting power to all the headlight and high beam fuses on both sides of the fuses.

I've read that hazard switches or relays can cause the blinker problems and those parts are cheap so I'm going to order both.

I tested behind the headlight that wasn't working and it was getting a low volt signal (2-3v or something).

Anything I should look for? Could it be the blinker switch on the steering column which is giving me grief since I'm having blinker and high beam issues?

Yours truly,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EMAIlL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Inventory is listed in my STOCKLIST section

Worldwide shipping is our specialty
Old January 19th, 2014, 09:16 AM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
I too had similar electrical gremlins when i acquired mine. Most of my problems came from the fuse box, what i did to correct was disconnect the battery and remove all fuses. I then took a wire brush to every fuse socket to clean out the corrosion and then did the same to the base on each fuse end...that solved all my problems. Later when i did a frame swap I cleaned all the grounds and used copper coat on the connections. At this point I do not have any electrical related problems with the exception of the occasion bulb failure!

As a note if you do this probably a good idea to have some spare fuses on hand because the original fuses are probably pretty brittle by now and i did end up breaking one or two on removal.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, electrical, ht, lights