EPA certification sticker location? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 30th, 2010, 11:59 AM
costarover
Robert Dingle
1998 Defender 90

EPA certification sticker location?

Hi all, I am new here and was hoping someone could tell me where I could find the EPA sticker on my Rover(if it has one)?

I own a 1998 Defender 90 in Costa Rica and I'm working through the process of trying to have it shipped to me here in the US. I believe from researching on the NHTSA website that my Rover may be importable without too much difficulty. A Registered Importer told me that most important thing is whether mine is EPA compliant and said that if so, it would have a sticker on it. I am currently in the US but have someone keeping the Rover for me who can look for the sticker if I know the approximate location.

Also, if anyone has any additional info on the process, shippers to use, or a registered importer more familiar with Rover-specific issues, I would surely appreciate it!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	33578  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2010, 12:06 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
If it is in fact a 1998, it is not importable. Sorry, but there really is no realistic way around this. Scores of people have looked for loopholes, if there was one, you would see a myriad of new defenders running around.

The "North American Spec" Defenders were listed by VIN for importation into the states. Yours is not a NAS, so it won't be on the golden list. It is also less than 25 years old, which means it MUST meet EPA and DOT/NHTSA Safety and lighting standards, which it won't.

Not be be the raincloud on your parade, but it's better you know earlier than later.

There are several guys on here who (a) import rovers for a living -or- (b) have tried what you are discussing, and can provide very detailed information if you want it.
Old November 30th, 2010, 12:09 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Contact Doug. He's a member here (130Tdi)

http://www.dividingcreekroverimports.com/

doug@dividingcreekimports.com

You'll run into the 25 year import issue depending on what you're importing it for (permanently vs. short-term).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2010, 12:11 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
But to answer your basic question, the emissions and safety certification labels will most likely be on the bottom of the hood/bonnet for the EPA label, and in the driver's footwell on the side just in front of the driver's door for the safety sticker.

They need to have *very* specific wording, such as "This vehicle conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards at time of manufacture" or words to that effect.
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:05 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Is that truck really a 98? Thought the sealed bulkhead vents were long gone by then
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:14 PM
costarover
Robert Dingle
1998 Defender 90

Sorry forgot to mention that all though it is a 1998 model year it was built in 1997 according to the VIN number. The VIN is SALLDVBF8VA******. According to a VIN decoder I found it was built in 1997.
From the NHTSA site document LIST OF NONCONFORMING MOTOR VEHICLES THAT ARE ELIGIBLE FOR IMPORTATION BY OR THROUGH A REGISTERED IMPORTER: "Defender 90 (manufactured before 9/1/97) and VIN "SALDV224*VA or SALDV324*VA"
I have called Land Rover to ask if they can confirm that it is EPA compliant and I'm waiting on a return call.
Thanks for the replies so far and thanks in advance for any other info!
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:25 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Your VIN doesn't fall in the right range - My ROW truck has an SALLD VIN also, and that is not the same as SALDV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 30th, 2010, 08:58 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by costarover View Post
Sorry forgot to mention that all though it is a 1998 model year it was built in 1997 according to the VIN number. The VIN is SALLDVBF8VA******. According to a VIN decoder I found it was built in 1997.
From the NHTSA site document LIST OF NONCONFORMING MOTOR VEHICLES THAT ARE ELIGIBLE FOR IMPORTATION BY OR THROUGH A REGISTERED IMPORTER: "Defender 90 (manufactured before 9/1/97) and VIN "SALDV224*VA or SALDV324*VA"
I have called Land Rover to ask if they can confirm that it is EPA compliant and I'm waiting on a return call.
Thanks for the replies so far and thanks in advance for any other info!
So, looking at that, it's not importable. Here is how your VIN breaks down:

SAL - Land Rover
LD - Defender
V - 90
B - 3 Door Station Wagon
F - 2.5 Liter Diesel (200/300 Tdi) - OH NO!
8 - LT77 or LT380 Manual Transmission
V - Model Year 1997
A - Manufactured in Solihull, UK

The first 8 digits MUST BE SALDV224 or SALDV324 for legal importation. Yours is SALLDVBF. Those digits that are different signify the US Approved Engine and Safety Cage.

Major problems that you face are:

No NAS spec rollover cage
No EPA approved engine (the only two engines in the defender line approved are the 3.9 and 4.0 V8)
External lights in the wrong location

But even if you somehow got a NAS cage and a V8 into it, your VIN prefix is wrong, and therefore non-importable. Doesn't matter how much money you have, ask Bill Gates about his experience trying to import a Porsche 959 that sat in a customs warehouse for years because it wasn't on the list. He eventually paid off congress to get a law passed for the importation of "show collection" cars.

If it's not on the NHTSA List, it isn't going to come into the country and be driven legally. There is no way around this.

On top of that, if (like me) you want to import into California, after you somehow bring this truck into NAS standards, you will need the blessing by the California Air Resources Board testing labs (another $6,500 - $7,000 just for that)
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:09 PM
costarover
Robert Dingle
1998 Defender 90

Thanks for all the info everyone. Better to find all this out now rather than in customs!
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:21 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
No worries, like I said I hate to be the raincloud on your parade!

Now, if the truck was 25 years old, you could import it very easily. I don't think anyone ever said our laws made sense.
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:53 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Ok so SALLDHAG7AA would be

SAL- LAND ROVER
LD -DEFEDNER
H- 110
A-5 DOOR
G-GAS?
7 -LT 95?
A Manufactured in Solihull, UK
A ??
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:10 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Anybody know why a 98 would have a sealed bulkhead?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions