Engine won't shut off - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:51 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Engine won't shut off

So I pulled my '97 SW into the driveway, put the transmission in park, and turned off the engine. It stayed on, oddly enough, even though the key was in the off position AND one of the electrical plugs to the right of the air conditioning unit (lower right, next to the passenger door) started smoking. I unplugged it and the engine shut off.

Ideas? Awesome Lucas issues? New ignition required?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:03 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
it's almost a little comical that ever other day someone posts about not being able to start and this is definitely the first post i've seen about one not shutting off...

my first instinct would be the ignition switch. I've had mine break apart before and then not start, but i would imagine it might not allow the rover to shut off if it froze up?? What exactly was smoking? that doesn't sound good.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:28 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike
What exactly was smoking? that doesn't sound good.
A true master of the understatement.

I was wondering the same thing though. Do you have a picture of the plug? Was it where two harnesses connect, or was it where a harness plugged into a module or something? Was it the plug itself or the insulation on the harness that was smoking?
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2009, 07:15 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

could it be carbon build up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 24th, 2009, 08:48 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
A true master of the understatement.

I was wondering the same thing though. Do you have a picture of the plug? Was it where two harnesses connect, or was it where a harness plugged into a module or something? Was it the plug itself or the insulation on the harness that was smoking?
I'll get a couple pics of it this morning and post. There is another harness right next to it (if I have the definition of harness correct).

Follow-up Post:

Photos of the smoking item:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d901.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	18972   Click image for larger version

Name:	d902.jpg.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	18973  

Old April 24th, 2009, 08:59 AM
bitz
Jon
NAS D90, 85 D110 CSW, 66 Dormobile

Looks like maybe the relay shorted out. I would try and replace the relay, or if you have a buddy who is good with electronics have them check the relay with a ohm meter to verify that it's shorted. If you want to try and do it your self I can help but I'll need some more information.
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:11 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitz
Looks like maybe the relay shorted out. I would try and replace the relay, or if you have a buddy who is good with electronics have them check the relay with a ohm meter to verify that it's shorted. If you want to try and do it your self I can help but I'll need some more information.
I have a meter, somewhere. Any clue on what exact relay (and part number) that is? I could just order today, while at work (without the truck, but with an M5 with a failing clutch). Thanks for the help.
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:13 AM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

looks to me like the relay is pulled. Did you pull it after the matter?

Belay my last!!! I'm half drunk. lol
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:22 AM
bitz
Jon
NAS D90, 85 D110 CSW, 66 Dormobile

I'm not sure of the part number but it should be written right on the relay. When you get the part number see if there is a schematic on the side or top. That will help us trouble shoot it.
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:55 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitz
I'm not sure of the part number but it should be written right on the relay. When you get the part number see if there is a schematic on the side or top. That will help us trouble shoot it.
I'll get it, stay tuned. Thanks again.
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:15 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Plug on the wiring harness looks like it will need to be replaced as well, looks a bit toasty on that one terminal...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine