Engine Wiring Harness - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 24th, 2010, 01:19 PM
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II
Engine Wiring Harness

How difficult is it to change out the engine wire harness. Mine seems really brittle in several places and they aren't that expensive. Just wondering how hard they are to install.

Old September 24th, 2010, 08:55 PM
D90 SW -- 2.8PS
I had Pendy pull the old harness and put in a Painless harness when he transplanted the HS2.8.

If you ask him I think he will tell you it was not easy!! Take into account there are virtually NO electronics on the 2.8 compared to the 3.9 or others. He actually seems to have gotten rid of a LOT of wiring.

Here is a pic of the painless set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	31474  

Old September 24th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI
I was thinking about the engine harness on mine for some reason and it's pretty simple. I'm not sure about the V8 one.
http://www.offroad101.ca - Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly
http://www.facebook.com/offroad101 - Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!
https://www.facebook.com/bioglycerinesoaps - Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen
Engine harness is pretty easy (the bulkhead one, with the dash, is fiddly)

On the engine, i'd lay the new harness on top of the engine first, make sure all the leads are the correct length and have the correct plugs/terminals on the end (to match what's already on there)... you don't want to pull the existing loom off then be left in the lurch with a dead truck.

If you're not too electrical savvy, then i'd take some pictures of the cable routing and what goes where, so you can refer to if when you refit the new one.

And just be careful when you pull the wires through any gaps, that there are no bits getting caught on some sharp corner and stripping back the plastic insulation.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

engine, wiring