Engine vomiting oil - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 1st, 2015, 07:20 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Engine vomiting oil

I've never seen this before.

Turbo seal blown was my first thought a couple months ago when it started smoking badly. It's been parked for a couple months and this is what happened when I fired it up today. The volume of oil coming out was pretty staggering.

So, I guess I'm looking at a new turbo, unless someone has some other thoughts what this is? I took off the intake pipe and it was extremely wet with oil.

In the mean time I have an oil spill to clean up.
Attached Files
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2015, 07:46 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Diesel diarrhea

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 1st, 2015, 07:48 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If it was leaking into the intake, the engine would run away out of control!! Must be dumping into the exhaust.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2015, 07:52 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
holy shit! Pull up next to a Prius and hit the gas.....haahahahahaha

(i can say that because I have two )
Old August 2nd, 2015, 04:17 AM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

So it's got to be coming from the turbo oil lubrication/cooling flow into the exhaust side, right? New turbo, unless it's easy to replace the impeller/bearing/seal package.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 08:46 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Jason:
As John B. says the oil is NOT on the intake side, but being dumped into the exhaust side of the turbine.
Yes you need to have your turbo rebuilt or replaced and then push it/tow it somewhere where you can spew a little oil because when you start it again the oil left in the exhaust will pour out again and then subside as the engine runs until it is only smoking badly and finally transition to not smoking much.
You could lay out news papers and to clean up simply roll them up and throw them out or burn them.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 2nd, 2015, 09:18 AM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Or you can do like the red necks and Roll Coal on some hybrids or redneck girls. Just YouTube it and you'll know what I mean
Old August 2nd, 2015, 10:39 AM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

We just had a 200 in the shop with the same issue and it was the head gasket. The truck had no other issues and actually ran great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 12:32 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Really, the head gasket? The engine does seem to run just fine aside from it's upset stomach.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 01:29 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariHP View Post
We just had a 200 in the shop with the same issue and it was the head gasket. The truck had no other issues and actually ran great.
How does a blown head gasket put oil into the exhaust?

Old January 27th, 2016, 07:39 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I finally got around to pulling the turbo and sure enough that was the problem - the turbine shaft was just flopping around in the housing.

Now I have received the replacement turbo, which came with only the center part of the exhaust manifold. How the heck do you get the two exhaust 'horns' off - is there any special trick? Use a bigger hammer?

After they are removed, how do you align them in the correct position and then seal them from leaks? I imagine some kind of cement... what's recommended?
Old January 27th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yep just knock them out. They don't use any sealer.

Old January 27th, 2016, 08:05 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Thanks!
Old January 28th, 2016, 01:47 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

They came out with some baby sledge beating - just needed a bigger hammer.

The old manifold horns sure fit in the new turbo loosely. So they will eventually seal on their own eh?
Old January 28th, 2016, 02:21 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherring View Post
They came out with some baby sledge beating - just needed a bigger hammer.

The old manifold horns sure fit in the new turbo loosely. So they will eventually seal on their own eh?
I thought you were supposed to use some sort of exhaust paste. Uncle Douglas has mentioned this before, but it's a delicate operation since you don't want to over coat it and suck anything in where it doesn't belong.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 28th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Use some exhaust cement if they seem loose.

Old January 28th, 2016, 02:38 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Have always heated the manifold with a torch and gently tapped them out.

To install, I put the piece with the male end into the freezer and the piece with the female in the oven to heat it at a low temperature.
Then tap the two ends together.
Make sure to do it on a flat surface so you have all the flanges on the same plane.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 10th, 2016, 03:23 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

OK, so I got the new turbo fitted with some difficulty... be warned, some of the aftermarket replacement turbos for the 300tdi will not be a perfect match. Problems I experienced:

1) vaccuum pod nipple facing the wrong direction
2) the supplied center exhaust housing has a casting protrusion that makes it impossible to get a ratchet/socket on the lower center exhaust manifold nut/bolt. It's only accessible with a wrench.
3) the oil return line fitting from the turbo bearing has the wrong sized threaded holes

I solved the above by:
1) disconnecting the pod and turning it 180 degrees. This still isn't ideal but is workable.
2) using the old center exhaust housing. I just couldn't get to the center lower nut satisfactorily and decided to unbolt the turbo core from the new housing and install into the old.
3) I used a smaller bolt. This required that I put a 'sleeve' on the small bolt to center the oil return line fitting on the turbo. Seemed to work perfectly. Properly I should have drilled/tapped it larger but screw it.

In this pic you can see the new turbo housing - in the second pic I've circled the part of the casting which makes it impossible to get a ratchet onto the fastener (bolt or nut/stud).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	142055   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431a.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	142056  

Old February 10th, 2016, 03:28 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

The new turbo seems to be working fine. As can be seen from my initial video there was oil literally spraying out of the exhaust system.

Here's a video showing how loose the old turbo was in the housing, so I'm pretty sure this is where all the oil was coming from...
Attached Files
Old February 10th, 2016, 03:38 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I drove it around the block the day I installed it and at first it was fine but it started spewing smoke after it heated up a bit. I expected some of this because of the volume of oil that must have been in the exhaust system (see first post w/ video)... in fact, when I pulled back into my driveway I noticed a trail of oil dripping from the exhaust tailpipe like breadcrumbs down the street. It was about 6pm and people were coming home so I didn't want to choke them out with smoke so I parked it.

Today I ran it for awhile to get it warmed up then drove around the block a couple dozen times... it got good and warm and was blowing huge clouds of smoke. This was pretty annoying I'm sure, even though most people weren't home.

I put it back into my driveway and let it idle for 15 minutes and it continued to smoke profusely. So, I have to wonder, did I actually solve the problem and it just takes that long for all the oil to burn out of the exhaust system (as it got nice and hot in the pipes so it was smoking at idle) or is there something else going on?

It even for a while got hot enough that it started backfiring when I'd let off the throttle - so the oil was exploding in the exhaust pipes.

Here's a video of the exhaust at idle after many trips around the block. You can see a bit of oil on the ground that has sprayed out.

I'm not sure what to do now - if the system is that full of oil, how do I get it out w/o making a cloudy mess? It's not like I could flush it with water without polluting as well. Or, is something else going on...

I may need a hazmat team.
Attached Files

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine