Engine turns over but won't start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 31st, 2008, 12:25 AM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

Engine turns over but won't start

'94 D90. Drove to work yesterday. After work the 90 turned over for quite a while (15 sec)and then started up. Drove home. Today, drove to work. After work, almost the same thing..... turned over for a while and finally started up. Ran fine for about 600 yards until I approached the guard gate and it just died. Coasted into a parking lot and tried to start. Engine turns fine but won't start. Had to have my wife tow me home. I waited until it was dark. Do you know how embarrasing that is? Anyway, I searched similar threads and none seemed to fit this problem. A coworker guessed the fuel filter since it started at first and maybe fuel was barely getting through until it finally plugged off today. Seems like if it were electrical it would not start at all. The filter looks pretty old.... hope its that simple. Do fuel pumps simply quit working or do they go bad over time?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Brian.

P.S. How bout the inertia switch? What is it and where is it?
Also, those oversized fuses under the hood at the firewall... is there a trick to removing them or do you just pull them out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2008, 01:26 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Do you hear the fuel pump running?
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:37 PM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

Just got in from trying to start the D. Cannot hear the pump kicking on like before, so I guess that narrows it down a bit. I read on other threads about a fuel pump relay or fuse or maybe the pump is shot? Is there a trick to removing the fuel pump fuse (the 30 amp fuse under the hood)? I gripped it with some needle nose pliers and pulled pretty hard. I don't want to break something so I was just wondering.
Thanks, Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2008, 02:01 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

There isn't anything tricky about the fuse. I just have trouble getting the cover back on right.
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:08 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
The fuel pump relay is in the passenger footwell on '94's.. that might be it, but the symptoms (hard start, barely ran) sound like fuel filter.. Do you smell gas at the tailpipe? if you smell gas then its the ignition (coil, cap, rotor, wires, plugs) if you crank it for 10 seconds and don't smell gas then its the fuel system (relay/fuse, pump, filter)

I'd replace the relay and then if not replace the filter. Probably needs a new filter anyway.

~Steve
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Replace silver relay for fuel pump.
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:04 PM
MontanaD90
Richard
95/ Defender 90 NAS

The exact thing happened to me the other day too. I was driving along and the engine started struggling like the engine was running a little lean. Then it finally died like it ran out of fuel. Coasted into a parkingn lot let it sit, turned it over for a while and it ran. Then I closed the hood and the bump from that killed it so i am pretty sure it is an electrical issue like bad contact. But that sounds pretty much like what you expirienced. I am working on fixing it now but seeing as it is still cold and snowy and I dont have a garage that is hard. PM what the fix is in the end
Old April 7th, 2008, 04:26 PM
MontanaD90
Richard
95/ Defender 90 NAS

So we got a nice thaw in bozeman, I swapped up the fuel filter and first try it fired up so i am thinking that was the issue. Hopefully yours was as easy as that
Old April 7th, 2008, 04:39 PM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd90
'94 D90. Drove to work yesterday. After work the 90 turned over for quite a while (15 sec)and then started up. Drove home. Today, drove to work. After work, almost the same thing..... turned over for a while and finally started up. Ran fine for about 600 yards until I approached the guard gate and it just died. Coasted into a parking lot and tried to start. Engine turns fine but won't start. Had to have my wife tow me home. I waited until it was dark. Do you know how embarrasing that is? Anyway, I searched similar threads and none seemed to fit this problem. A coworker guessed the fuel filter since it started at first and maybe fuel was barely getting through until it finally plugged off today. Seems like if it were electrical it would not start at all. The filter looks pretty old.... hope its that simple. Do fuel pumps simply quit working or do they go bad over time?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Brian.

P.S. How bout the inertia switch? What is it and where is it?
Also, those oversized fuses under the hood at the firewall... is there a trick to removing them or do you just pull them out?
The inertia switch is a good bet. It almost had me dropping the tank to replace the fuel pump. Its black with a rubber boot on top for the reset button. Its on the engine side of the fire wall to the top right of center looking in.

Mine was pretty touchy and reacted to letting the hood drop, water and especially engine cleaning with power wash! I found the problem was the connector/plug junction on the underside of the switch. Its is well designed to become loose and let crap in. I zip tied it on and packed it with silicon gel for now until I bypass it and remove it.

Owen
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:22 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by owen
The inertia switch is a good bet. It almost had me dropping the tank to replace the fuel pump. Its black with a rubber boot on top for the reset button. Its on the engine side of the fire wall to the top right of center looking in.

Mine was pretty touchy and reacted to letting the hood drop, water and especially engine cleaning with power wash! I found the problem was the connector/plug junction on the underside of the switch. Its is well designed to become loose and let crap in. I zip tied it on and packed it with silicon gel for now until I bypass it and remove it.

Owen
Is it in the same location for 93' 110's? I cant find it anywhere.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, start