Engine Tick after oil change - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 4th, 2010, 02:41 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

That's Schumi in the F2000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Frank84
Frank Battersby
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
If you get oil light at idle, remove the oil pan and clean out the oil pick up asap. Also check you do not have a leaky injector dumping gas into the oil (oil smells like gas and is thinner than it should be).

The chug chug chug sound (like a steam train) when you first start up the truck is the lifters. When they wear, the oil drains out over time.

Ron
I think my lifters and/or rocker arms must be slightly worn like Ron suggests. I switched to 5/40 rotella and it made no difference to the slight tapping noise on start up. It only lasts 1-2 seconds if the car has been sitting over night so I don't think I'm going to dive in there yet, but I figured I'd report back that there was no difference in going from a "0-40" to a "5-40".
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:37 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

When you go to synthetic it will clean out a lot of crud, if you run it for awhile the lifters may clean out and come back a bit which will reduce the ticking over time. So if you're showing enough oil pressure and it isn't burning I wouldn't worry too much. With oil in general thinner is better as oil lubricates by film.

You may want to short the first change though, running 0W is only really needed at -10C and lower though, if you're usually above freezing there's little reason to go below 10W40.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh

You may want to short the first change though, running 0W is only really needed at -10C and lower though, if you're usually above freezing there's little reason to go below 10W40.

I think the reason to go with the Mobil 1 0W40 is because of the shear ratings it has over the 10W40, not necessarily the temperature environment. There is a crazy amount of threads over on DWeb about it and how it's a good oil for the Rover flat tappet engines.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:01 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
the 10w40 has highest ratings 2nd to the 20w50 diesel oill, ive gone to an Amsoil 10w40 that supposed to have extra ZINC

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine