engine temporarily runs.. help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 31st, 2006, 08:54 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

engine temporarily runs.. help

Driving home yesterday and engine randomly quits at speed. Restart it keep driving and all is well. On the way home it does it again and won't restart. Ended up pushing it down the NY thruway to the next exit. Prior to this day I noticed a problem where in fifth gear under power (later in all gears) the car would start to jerk back an forth as if power was being cut out. I would let off the gas and it would stop and then be fine again. Yesterday, if I let it sit for about ten mins and then start it again it would fire up and die after about 10 seconds. To me it doesn't sound like an ignition problem. My guess was something restricting the fuel flow, possibly time for a new fuel filter (never change it in 60K miles). I would say fuel pump but doesn't that only matter when starting the car after that doesn't vaccum pressure suck the fuel? Anyhow my car doesn't run and feet hurt from shoving it down the road and I thought i would ask the experts.. Thanks..

p.s. FIrst time in my life and land rover stranded me with another form of transportation. I was towing my Dirt bike!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2006, 09:11 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Check your ignition rotor, then fuel pressure.
Old July 31st, 2006, 09:44 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Fuel filter first bet for me. Must have fuel pump, it doesn't use vacum to suck the fuel.
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2006, 10:10 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

DO I have to order a fuel filter from atlantic british or rover parts dealer or Can I pick one up at autozone? (Part #) Lastly, never checked fuel pressure... what tools do I need and where on the line do I check the pressure. How much pressure is ideal?
Old July 31st, 2006, 11:59 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Autozone on Rte 59 has the filter for under $12.

Pressure should be around 37 if I recall.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine