Engine Temp issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 25th, 2005, 12:48 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Engine Temp issues

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but i can't find a thread on it, so if this is a repeat i'm sorry. My defender keeps over heating... so says the gauge, but I have changed the radiator, water pump, thermostat and all other related parts, the only thing i haven't changed i the physical gauge. I drove it around Moab in the summer and the gauge hung out around the red but never got above it. If i picked up speed the gauge would drop down in less than a minute. It seemed whenever wind hit it, it went down to normal. It does this on the highway too. While off-road it occasioanlly randomly stalled and sometimes had a hard time restarting. I don't think the gauge is accurate, but what should i look at to remedy the problem. The stalling is also a bitch when you are driving up the launching pad in moab and your engine quits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

This has been covered a lot. If wind or speed has an effect check your clutch fan, should be hard to turn it when the engine is hot and off. But your gauge may never go above red if it goes into red you should have shut it off and let it cool down.
Old February 25th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Factory gauge many have found to be unreliable. There are a couple of recent threads covering install of mechanical gauges. Mine is a AutoMeter, hung under the dashboard, with the temp sensing bulb plugged into the hot side of the radiator. I had a rad shop put the fitting in for me. Very accurate degree read outs.

Doug W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2005, 09:39 PM
naeirie
Nilo Enerio
95 D90 ST #2571

Registry
I just replaced my stock water temp gauge with a mechanical gauge(AutoMeter part# ATM 2606). I purchased from egauges.com (http://egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?Type...Z-Series&Cart=). I used an adapter from SunPro so that the probe goes directly where the electronic temp sender is. (http://sunpro.com/product_detail.php...b684f92fa7291e) It's so much nicer (piece of mind) to read real temperature reading. I will post pics if interested.

Nilo
Old May 13th, 2005, 10:37 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

nilo can you post pics-do you have one of the sender and it installed
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:31 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

as mike said, it really sounds like a fan clutch (sometimes known as a viscous fan clutch, viscous fan, thermal fan clutch, etc.) They go out quite often on the defenders. I'm putting an electric fan unit in our 94 and many on here have done that with very good results.
Old May 14th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yeah, from the desciption it's definitely a fan-clutch issue.

In fact, once again, if anybody can tell me the threads on the existing fan/water pump, I want to see if the flex-a-lite adapter to hook on a flex-fan will work for us. There are a bunch of aftermarket fan-clutches out there, but I need to know the threads.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 14th, 2005, 02:01 AM
naeirie
Nilo Enerio
95 D90 ST #2571

Registry
pics

Hi Matt,

Here are the pictures.

Nilo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0025.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	3166   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0026.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	3167  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0027.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	3168   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0028.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	3169  

Old May 25th, 2005, 02:58 PM
jabber
m j

Any reason/benefit of mechanical versus electrical?
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

In theory, a mechanical fan can flow more air (When everything is working), but sucks down horsepower and can't be shut off for water crossings nor can it be kept on when the engine is stopped.

Electrical fans (in theory) flow less, but are more versatile and don't take up as much engine power.

I've been trying to source some different mechanical options, but have come up dry so far. A few leads to follow, without the cash to take the plunge.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:44 PM
jabber
m j

ooopppsss... I meant gauges... Mechanical versus electrical gauges. Sorry.
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:51 PM
naeirie
Nilo Enerio
95 D90 ST #2571

Registry
major reason I switched to a mechanical gauge is to get an accurate reading as far as my temp engine goes. I found the electric gauge/sender to be very unreliable.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine