Engine sweet spot and highway RPMs - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 6th, 2007, 04:50 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

duplicate post
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2007, 04:51 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

duplicate post
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:57 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
hehe, saying it three times still didn't help it sink in

What is the first detent? I don't think the little lead sleeve is crimped down on my cable so I guess thats what I need to set to Dimension A once I know what the detent is.

thanks
charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

The simple version is loosen the locknut and move the cable away from the plenum a few turns. Test drive. Repeat untill the kickdown is where you like it.
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:41 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Well, there is always the concern of not adjusting it properly and wearing out the transmission prematurely. Aside from that, I'm not sure what a good shift point should be. Mine is smooth which I assume is good. Is it bad to feel the gear shifts?
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:42 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Kick down has no relation to shift smoothness. When adjusted properly it tells the gearbox when you want to shift differently than normal.

Example, when accelerating from a stop, sometimes you want the tranny to hold the gear a bit longer. Or when going to pass, you want the gearbox to downshift to give more HP needed to pass. Also when going up hills, you want to downshift to stay in the powerband and not lug up the hill in a higher gear.

All of these functions are influenced by the position of the kickdown cable.

Find a moderate hill, approach at 55 with torque converter locked.

The hill should be steep enough to cause the vehicle to slow to 50 or less but one that is not so steep that you cannot carry the hill in 3rd.

When you approach the hill, the gearbox should downshift when the rpms fall below about 1800 to third and allow you to easily crest the hill.

In my vehicle it does this at about 3/4 throttle, just when I would downshift manually if it did not shift.

You said that your vehicle doesn't shift unless the throttle is fully depressed. I like mine to shift before that point since I rarely if ever push the throttle completely.

To cause the shift to occur sooner as you push the throttle. Make the cable tighter so that the throttle pulls the cable sooner thus shifting down sooner.

Hope this helps.
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:46 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmccallum
I don't know about all these numbers and ratios but I replaced my stock gears with 4:11's and I had the same problems on the hills with the stock gears. I noticed that the truck was a little more snappy across the RPM ranges. I also noticed that the hills were slightly easier with the 4:11's. But I wouldn't say it was dramatic at all. My RPM"s are typically higher than you are describing, however. I will pay attention today to the RPM's and get back to you on this. I was runnings 33's all this time but I have just put 35's on so things have changed somewhat.
This is a golden oldie- but I was unable to find a newer thread with what I'm looking for. I live at about 7000 ft (Evergreen, CO) and am looking for a little more oomph on the highway. I typically drive between 65-75mph and with a headwind or slight incline I'm having to flog it between 4th and 5th ('94 D90 NAS 5spd, 255 85R 16 tires- about 33") to keep it there. Even with that I find the pedal is to the floor and there is usually a procession of cars behind me with their drivers extending their middle fingers. My 3.9 has been tuned and timing advanced where it should be, so I'm getting as much out of it as possible at this point. I was thinking a switchover to 4.11 gears might help..but from the sounds of the post I've quoted above, it might be a slight improvement but may not give me the driveability I'm looking for. I hate to say it, as it's probably cost prohibitive, but a 4.6 upgrade might be the upgrade I should be considering; not gears. I'd like to keep the current tire size. Any thoughts/advice?
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:48 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I cruise at ~3k in 5th in a bone stock 95/94. I shift at about 5k when on the highway and about 3500 around town.
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:14 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygoss
This is a golden oldie- but I was unable to find a newer thread with what I'm looking for. I live at about 7000 ft (Evergreen, CO) and am looking for a little more oomph on the highway. I typically drive between 65-75mph and with a headwind or slight incline I'm having to flog it between 4th and 5th ('94 D90 NAS 5spd, 255 85R 16 tires- about 33") to keep it there. Even with that I find the pedal is to the floor and there is usually a procession of cars behind me with their drivers extending their middle fingers. My 3.9 has been tuned and timing advanced where it should be, so I'm getting as much out of it as possible at this point. I was thinking a switchover to 4.11 gears might help..but from the sounds of the post I've quoted above, it might be a slight improvement but may not give me the driveability I'm looking for. I hate to say it, as it's probably cost prohibitive, but a 4.6 upgrade might be the upgrade I should be considering; not gears. I'd like to keep the current tire size. Any thoughts/advice?

You could supercharge it.
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygoss
I have 4.10 gears with 31" tires, and I am a little higher elevation than you. I thought it would make a bigger difference than it did for everyday driveability. I don't notice much difference around town, but it is pulling much better up a long mountain pass, say the approach to the tunnel. It can hold 60-65mph pretty easily on that grade, whereas before it was pretty pathetic. I would think gears + the 4.6 would make it awesome.
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Monkeyboy

Not in the Defender, but I've got 4.10's in the Disco on 235/85's.

The gears are probably the best mod I've made to the old girl.

The 2900rpm across Nebraska are a small price to pay to be able to almost keep up with traffic anywhere west of the bottom of the hill out there.

Cheers,

KAA
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Jay - been there, done that in regards to driveability in our area. Best bang for the buck is change the gearing. I dropping in a 1.4 T-case. For me it was cheaper than doing 4.11s in both diffs. I eventually went to a modified 4.6. The D90 drives better than my 03 DII with 4.6. Mark
Old December 30th, 2009, 12:02 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Great feedback guys- thanks. I'm thinking gears or t-box now in prep for 4.6 later when I have more $. With regard to supercharging I'm a little hesitant as it's a 100k plus motor- not sure how well she'd hold & for how long. I'm thinking it might be a better bet to gear it then do the motor swap when she craps out. Make sense?

Follow-up Post:

I am curious now, however regarding supercharging. Does anyone know how a supercharged 3.9 compares power/torque/reliability wise as compared to a 4.6? I could rebuild the 3.9 then supercharge if it's comparable yet less costly.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine