Engine swap well under way - Some questions - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 5th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by samer0214 View Post
The MAF is also connected save for a single white wire with a push on male blade connector. I couldn't find any information on it, and I couldn't find a place to connect it to. White is typically switched ignition, so is that what this wire is for, and if so, could that be part of the problem?
That wire has a black trace too right? It connects to the coil.

And I completely forgot about the coolant pipes. If you're still interested let me know... but it sounds like you've got it worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2015, 09:57 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Engine swap well under way - Some questions

Kevin, the wire is white only, no black trace, and it's not long enough to connect to the coil. It branches of the MAF harness.

There are 3 wires connected to the coil, a positive, a negative, and a switched ignition to the positive terminal. I also have spark at the coil (center terminal on the distributor), so I don't think it's an ignition issue.

As for the coolant pipes, I actually left them alone, and had a throttle cable custom made to reach, rather than having to flip the plenum.
Defenderless, for now!
Old October 5th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

You should have four wires off the coil. Defender harness may be just white without black trace and you'll have the 'chicklet' there which may explain why it won't reach.
Do a search for 'chicklet'.... here's one good post explaining it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I can't see from the photo but it is vital that you connect the wire with that runs to the ECU to the -be side of the coil. This is the one that connect to the chicklet that's up near the MAF. Put the voltmeter on the chicklet and to ground and you should see 9v ... This should pulse with the ignition firing. This tells the ecu the engines is running and turns on the fuel pump. Without it it won't start. You can get a great spark and all that good stuff but unless that wire is connected the ECU won't pump gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2015, 11:14 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Kevin: You Da Man! Genius, thank you. Connected that white wire to the Negative side of the coil, and it fired right up! Thank you, thank you.

Once again, this board proves to be invaluable. Great board, great people.
Defenderless, for now!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine