Engine Stutter - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 27th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Creg Schumann
1997 D90 SW
Engine Stutter

I've had my '97 D-90 SW for a few months now. However, in the last days, there seems to have developed a stutter in the engine when traveling over 45 MPH. It will run smoothly for about 5-15 seconds, and then stutter. Just this evening, the Check Engine light went on during the drive home.

I'm thinking this can't be good. Any hints before I call the LR Shop tomorrow?

Old December 27th, 2004, 10:16 PM
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350
If the CEL is on. I would first take the Rover to AutoZone to pull the codes (there will be no charge for this). Once you have them take them and plug them into this site: http://www.iequus.com/obd_def.asp

Sputtering could be: the fuel filter has gone bad, plugs or wires, misfire on a cylinder, fuel pump dying. Most of the aforementioned are fairly easy to change out if you have rudimentary mechanic skills and a manual. Good Luck. If it were me I would avoid the dealer like the plague!

I bought the diamonds myself so I would not have to say thank you to anyone.
Old December 28th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Michael Spellman
Not sure on a 97, but my 95 did the exact same thing & it was an overheating ECM. I relocated off of the distributor onto the pass fender.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions