Engine running rough temporarily - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 11th, 2009, 09:30 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Engine running rough temporarily

What are candidates for the engine running like crap for a few minutes and then "self healing"? I was driving a heavily rutted road at speed yesterday right before it happened, but was on tarmac when it occured. I could smell the exhaust, then when came to a stop the engine was missing and felt like it wanted to stall. A minute or so later it was fine.

I'm guessing something is vibrating loose, but what?

thanks,
charles
(oh, this is on my '94 D90)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2009, 09:50 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
coil wire. This happened on a friends LWB after it was launched over some rail road tracks
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:35 PM
bitz
Jon
NAS D90, 85 D110 CSW, 66 Dormobile

Check the O2 sensors as well. If they come unhooked it will make your truck run like a vw bug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2009, 03:50 PM
ollieskins
Wade Garrett
1994 defender 90

Interesting. My defender has been running just like a vw bug for a while. Where is the o2 sensor?
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:59 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
LOL. I haven't driven in a vw bug for a long time so you'd have to explain how that feels. Mine is intermittent which makes me think it's not just a loose wire since nothing is tightening the connection again, but when it happens it misfires (on what seems like multiple cylinders) runs rich evident by black smoke (not sure if this is a cuase or symptom) and generally speaking is totally out of power and feels like it will stall.

It just goes away on its own after about a minute.. at least so far. Knock on wood because it happened to me again today

Follow-up Post:

Oh, the O2 sensors are on the exhaust downpipe between the exhaust manifold and the cats (one on each side)
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Would a plugged catalytic convertor do that? Maybe more so on a rough road.
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:36 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Good question although I wouldn't expect that to be intermittent. No codes being thrown either BTW.

Does anyone know how to detect if the cats are causing issues? What is a normal temperature before and after the cats?

I am trying to track down why my truck runs hot when driving slowly in bumper to bumper traffic, slowly on trails, or even long enough at a light in gear (auto box) and have been wondering if the cats could be suspect since I have a rebuilt engine and new beefy radiator. My fan clutch is good afaik, and I think the system is bled properly so running out of ideas.
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
clutch fan newspaper test as suggested in another thread? sounds like a fan issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Good question although I wouldn't expect that to be intermittent. No codes being thrown either BTW.

Does anyone know how to detect if the cats are causing issues? What is a normal temperature before and after the cats?

I am trying to track down why my truck runs hot when driving slowly in bumper to bumper traffic, slowly on trails, or even long enough at a light in gear (auto box) and have been wondering if the cats could be suspect since I have a rebuilt engine and new beefy radiator. My fan clutch is good afaik, and I think the system is bled properly so running out of ideas.
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:45 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Well, I believe it's good. I did try a piece of cardboard and the fan kept spinning fine. But you tell me - turns maybe a half turn when cold, and maybe a blade when hot (vehicle shut off of course)?

I've been too busy but plan to change it anyway just in case. Got one from Advance for about $60-70

charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine