Engine rebuild/replace advise needed. - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 9th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

That list makes sense -- do some research on pirate, there are plenty of cross reference parts for this project; for instanct, summit will sell you the cam (crower) and Cloys double roller timing chain and sprockets. Get the full gasket set from AB. Replacing the entire engine isn't that difficult, just more time consuming.

Do you know which headgaskets were on there?

And, for the record, if the mechanic didn't do a compression or leakdown test and just started pulling off the intake, I think I'd be looking for a new mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

sounds like your noise was upper end stuff. won't know until the heads are off & you can see the pistons & walls.

d&d has all the parts you will need. some cheaper & some a little more. but buying from one place makes it easyer....IMHO

The cost will be what it will be but it should last a long time as after market shit is better than rover..ie cam lifters t chain

If d&d builds a motor for you you shouldn't have to worry about your mech screwing it up as the engine replace is pretty straight forward. [& i think cheaper in the long run]supply him torque specs & your in.

you have to pay to do a pirate search dweb is a better resource..
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:25 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtracer
If d&d builds a motor for you you shouldn't have to worry about your mech screwing it up as the engine replace is pretty straight forward. [& i think cheaper in the long run]supply him torque specs & your in.
With enough advanced notice, if you were to drive there on Sunday, then I'd guess they could do the work on Monday and you could drive back on Monday night/Tuesday?! It's only a 10 hour drive according to Google Maps.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2007, 12:33 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
With enough advanced notice, if you were to drive there on Sunday, then I'd guess they could do the work on Monday and you could drive back on Monday night/Tuesday?! It's only a 10 hour drive according to Google Maps.
Forgot to add this caveat, D&D does NOT do installs.
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:39 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
Forgot to add this caveat, D&D does NOT do installs.
Hum... So.... Maybe you have to have more advanced notice and plan to ask them for some space temporarily to do the re-install?!
Or just drop the engine in the back of the truck and go home to do the re-install there. But then, you'd miss out on all the good stuff that could happen trying to get the engine back into the truck quickly in an unknown place with very limited time.... No, driving back with the engine in the back of a truck would be too easy/not risky enough. ;-) [Not sure how much shipping back and forth of an engine would cost... I'm thinking forward air but still have no idea of how much]
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Peanuts compared to time & gas money
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
you have to pay to do a pirate search dweb is a better resource..
There are a bunch of us on here that are red star members there -- I'll try to pull what I can find over there for ya, though I'm sure you're right that it's on dweb, too. Membership over there is well worth the $20 for the search function alone.
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but if anyone is around the Los Angeles area and wants to see/help me biuld a 4.0 & 4.6 block let me know. Roverphiles are somewhat deficient around these parts.

Neil

Robert Deniro
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:37 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Neil, how far along in the project are you? Are you just getting started, or have you already done the legwork getting the best prices on parts etc? If you have, please share.

thanks

charles
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have the one out of the 110 here. It runs like crap but I am assuming that is a fuel/spark issue.

I can run a compression test and see if you want a CHEAP used motor. I would need yours as a core to rebuild with my 4.6 block for future use though.

Ron
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Neil, how far along in the project are you? Are you just getting started, or have you already done the legwork getting the best prices on parts etc? If you have, please share.

thanks

charles
Charles, I have a brand spanking new 4.0 and a 4.6 block. I also have a good used 4.0 that I want to biuld up as well. Or mabye I'll sell the used block not sure. I have one pair of used 4.0 heads that need to go to the machine shop. I want to biuld up the 4.6 block with those heads, or I can always get an extra set of rebiult 3.9 heads from British Pacific for about $400. So basically I have a new 4.6 block, full gasket set, new 4.2 cam, chain, gears, lifters, push rods, 4.2 RRC computer chip and new head bolts. Just need heads, new rocker assembly, timing cover (mine has been used twice already, kinda scared to use it a third time) assembly lube, hylomar and sealant. This block would go into my 94 ST. Also I have a beater RRC for sale in my parking lot, anyone wants it for cheap? lol

Neil

BTW, I get great prices on parts from BP. You can say I get the secret hand shake hook up. What are you looking for (parts) anyway? I think I might be able to get you a 4.6 short block (new) for 3700.

Robert Deniro
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

I think I might be able to get you a 4.6 short block (new) for 3700.

you can build 2 4.6's for that
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:19 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Peter, I spoke to Mark from D&D today, but didn't discuss him building me a motor as he didn't steer me in that direction. Instead we discussed the parts I'd need to repair mine, and although I don't know the total yet, I don't see how you could build a 4.6 for 2K, let alone have him do it. I'll find out tomorrow though

charles
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
Peter has a good point. When I spoke to these guys about 6 months ago, they stated for around $2000 they could build a better than new 4.6. The PITA part would be shipping and installation and I don't know what their time frame is in comparison to yours.
It can be done
I bought 2 complete 4.6's for 1700 you have to shop around.
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
I think I might be able to get you a 4.6 short block (new) for 3700.

you can build 2 4.6's for that

Yeah, but your not talking about new blocks, your talking used, and there are those (like me) in the rover aluminum engine group that have had porous blocks in the past and would prefer new blocks. Cheapest new 4.6 long block is a bit over 4k from some guy on e-bay. Cheapest new 4.6 short block so far I've seen is 3700. I'd rather deal in Brand new rather than take a gamble on someone's used block.

Neil

Robert Deniro
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:33 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley
Yeah, but your not talking about new blocks, your talking used, and there are those (like me) in the rover aluminum engine group that have had porous blocks in the past and would prefer new blocks. Cheapest new 4.6 long block is a bit over 4k from some guy on e-bay. Cheapest new 4.6 short block so far I've seen is 3700. I'd rather deal in Brand new rather than take a gamble on someone's used block.

Neil
Neil, I also would rather have a brand new block. D&D puts up a convincing arguement as to why a 4.6 rebuilt by him, is a better option other than the price. Give him a call if you're curious, I couldn't begin to explain the specifics.
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

blocks don't become porous they were cast that way so a used block would have been tested already right!

The real risk is if it were overheated or warped not porous. Crate engines have be porous as well.
I too would like a new block but don't mind a used one. ESP at 2 for one!

I guess the differance is I do most of my work therefore I have no shop bills except machine work.
I wil stop now as this doesn't help Charles..
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:52 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley
Charles, I have a brand spanking new 4.0 and a 4.6 block. I also have a good used 4.0 that I want to biuld up as well. Or mabye I'll sell the used block not sure. I have one pair of used 4.0 heads that need to go to the machine shop. I want to biuld up the 4.6 block with those heads, or I can always get an extra set of rebiult 3.9 heads from British Pacific for about $400. So basically I have a new 4.6 block, full gasket set, new 4.2 cam, chain, gears, lifters, push rods, 4.2 RRC computer chip and new head bolts. Just need heads, new rocker assembly, timing cover (mine has been used twice already, kinda scared to use it a third time) assembly lube, hylomar and sealant. This block would go into my 94 ST. Also I have a beater RRC for sale in my parking lot, anyone wants it for cheap? lol

Neil

BTW, I get great prices on parts from BP. You can say I get the secret hand shake hook up. What are you looking for (parts) anyway? I think I might be able to get you a 4.6 short block (new) for 3700.

Damn!! Where are you located. Do you have any 3.9 stuff sitting around? I will be rebuilding a 3.9 for my D130 in the near future. You sound like a great resource. I'm in Burbank.
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
blocks don't become porous they were cast that way so a used block would have been tested already right!

The real risk is if it were overheated or warped not porous. Crate engines have be porous as well.
I too would like a new block but don't mind a used one. ESP at 2 for one!

I guess the differance is I do most of my work therefore I have no shop bills except machine work.
I wil stop now as this doesn't help Charles..
Last week, I was watching Pete at Huntington Service Center install this 4.6 biuld up by FMS into a 4.2 RRC. The machine shop (FMS) had been doing rover heads for Pete and John for decades and they even swore they pressure tested this block before assembly. It had new pistons, rings.... the works. As soon as they start it up, it starts blowing some steam from the tail pipe. They think its no big deal and its probably probably water in the exhaust as that rover was sitting for months before the install. 20 minutes go by and its still blowing steam, they check the radiator is its low. Needless to say, they couldn't believe they might have to pull this block out again after all that work. I watched them do a pressure/leak down, narrowed it down to #6 and pull the heads off. No soot on #6, steam cleaned. Gasket was fine......Block has to come out! They are still trying to figure out who's going to pay for the labor and the customer was literally in tears when he found out (Big black guy who is a sheriff deputy) lol. I'm just saying, I'd rather not take the chance man, an extra thousand is worth the peace of mind for me, especially when everything else on the truck costs so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
Damn!! Where are you located. Do you have any 3.9 stuff sitting around? I will be rebuilding a 3.9 for my D130 in the near future. You sound like a great resource. I'm in Burbank.
I'm in South Pasadena. Hmm, I suppose you could cannibalize that 3.9 I'm going to pull out of my truck. That motor was replaced in 2000 by Hunting Service Center in San Marino by Pete and John. It's still fresh and I've used nothing but synthetic since the last 50k. What exactly do you need? I have 4.0 parts lying around from a P32A RR. I think 3.9 is too weak for your 130. It's bad enough in a 90, can't believe you still want to use that even with a cam upgrade.

Neil

Robert Deniro
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:22 AM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

At our shop, we do rebuild 3.9 motors but the newer cross bolted 4.0 or 4.6 are much better designs, and most owners choose to upgrade to them.

One thing no one mentioned here is that the pistons are often worn out, too, and they are costly.

And with respect to the original complaint - cams are not a cause of overheating or sudden noise. They wear gradually. The overheating suggest some other issue.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, engine, rebuild