Engine question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 16th, 2014, 04:38 PM
BeardBob
Chris
97 Defender 90 County Van

Engine question

Evening, I am in the very early stages of considering whether to change my engine. I have a 300tdi but was wondering what factors I have to consider when choosing a different engine. If I went for a v8 would the transmission and clutch hack it? Is there anywhere I can get this sort of information? Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2014, 04:41 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardBob View Post
Evening, I am in the very early stages of considering whether to change my engine. I have a 300tdi but was wondering what factors I have to consider when choosing a different engine. If I went for a v8 would the transmission and clutch hack it? Is there anywhere I can get this sort of information? Cheers
do you have more money than sense?

My 3.9 V8 gets about 10mpg around town on a us gallon ... if you are in the UK it might be around 12 mpg and i've got a very light foot!

Unless you really want to rely on Lucas grade electrics and piss poor fuel economy ... i'd spend the money upgrading you 300tdi or even going to a HS 2.8.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 16th, 2014, 04:47 PM
BeardBob
Chris
97 Defender 90 County Van

Ha ha. The conversion truck is only a weekend toy, and it would only ever cost me 30 to fill up. ... (Because that's all is take with me to the petrol station! ) but on a serious note I was considering a lpg conversion as well.
Thought I'd find out add much add possible well in advanced just so I know every option before I jump in with both feet and spend too much !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2014, 05:13 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardBob View Post
Ha ha. The conversion truck is only a weekend toy, and it would only ever cost me 30 to fill up. ... (Because that's all is take with me to the petrol station! ) but on a serious note I was considering a lpg conversion as well.
Thought I'd find out add much add possible well in advanced just so I know every option before I jump in with both feet and spend too much !
the danger with that 30 quid and a v8 ... is it might not get you home ..

so v8 then LPG on top ... to get back to 300tdi economy? ... get a intercooler and a variable turbo and enjoy what you have.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:09 PM
landrovermanuk
John Lindsay
1986 Land Rover 90, 3.9Efi

Registry
If you are going to the trouble of changing to a V8, go the whole hog and stick an auto box in as well. When I had mine converted to V8 it was going to cost almost as much to have the main shaft in the manual gearbox converted as it did to change to auto.
I get about 12 mpg on 33" M/Ts. A standard tank will give you about 150 miles... It's great fun but thirsty....
Our American friends think they have it bad we are paying over $9 a gallon....

Land Rover owners like it rough and dirty...
Old February 21st, 2014, 06:27 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The cost of gas, petrol, here in the states is about 1/3 of what you guys are paying in the UK. One reason we have more v-8's is that diesel is more expensive than gas. Diesel is running about 60 cents more a gallon. That is another reason the diesels haven't taken a good hold. If you run the numbers you do not save anything buy running a better mileage diesel. Of course that doesn't take into account the wonderful torque nature of the diesel.
Old February 21st, 2014, 11:59 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
I loved the torque aspect of my diesel 2.5 NA. Made it an absolute tractor. Then I absolutely needed an overdrive to move it along at any speed on the Autostrada and not observe how nicely passing motorists kept there nails on their middle finger. Then, it seemed to invent hills where I couldn't perceive any relief at all. My wife, now there was a love affair, she absolutely hated the green Antichrist. Nice thing was; I couldn't hear her complaining over the noise.

LPG conversions are rather cool and easy to do. That is after you finish up doing the engine and all. Is the LPG still road tax exempt in UK? If so then it makes huge sense to me. Your engine never carbons up and the oil remains super clean. There is the where to put the tank of any size on a 90, better on a 110. It isn't hard to make them dual fuel, petrol and LPG. That way you don't run out of gas trying to find an LPG station to fuel up.

You probably could make money on the job if you shipped the TDI to the US as a kit.
Old February 21st, 2014, 01:22 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

"I loved the torque aspect of my diesel 2.5 NA. Made it an absolute tractor. Then I absolutely needed an overdrive to move it along at any speed on the Autostrada and not observe how nicely passing motorists kept there nails on their middle finger. Then, it seemed to invent hills where I couldn't perceive any relief at all. My wife, now there was a love affair, she absolutely hated the green Antichrist. Nice thing was; I couldn't hear her complaining over the noise."

Funny
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:02 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

If it's a weekend toy, why bother, it's a huge hassle. I converted from a 4.0 w/autobox to 300Tdi w/autobox. Gasser typically got 14mpg, diesel 23mpg .... a 64% increase in MPG's. Easily worth the 60 cents mentioned above. The autobox set up can easily be had in the UK out of a Disco I. It's not fast but I've driven diesels since 1981. If I feel "the need for speed", I have a motorcycle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions