Engine Proble: Please Advise - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 16th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
I am running the Mean Green--it has been flawless with my 1994, so I know it is possible and it provides plenty of juice. I like it, but I probably don't use it to capacity--unless you have a lot of lights and accessories, 120 amps is usually fine. With the Mean Green, you may have to fuss a little with bolts/spacers to line up, but it is not rocket science--just have them align parallel with the belt (belts).

I would, at least, take off the rocker covers, plug the oil drain holes, and clean the crap out of them--they are another prime area where gunk collects. I would also run a very thin oil, cheap is fine, for a day and then drain that out, then repeat. Cheap insurance, you know?

Good luck!

Old January 16th, 2006, 06:06 PM
97 D90 SW
Hey Chris: thanks for the insight that is exactly what I'm going to do. As for the MG, I ordered one today and Paul (the guy at MG) said it should bolt right in no worries. I did have to purchase a slightly longer Belt (9mm), so we will see how it all goes. Thanks again. gh

Old January 16th, 2006, 08:38 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110
Originally Posted by guajiro

Two questions: First when inserting the oil cooler lines back in both in the block and radiator is there a little rubber o-ring that should go onto the male end of the lines???? Is so which one, or all of them????

Hooah! Glad to hear that your oil pan came off. If you are talking about the little o-ring that is approximately 1/4" in diameter, there should be one of those on each line, where the lines connect to the oil cooler (radiator). I replaced my oil cooler lines this weekend...what a pain in the ass. Also, you might take your sandwich plate off the block and inspect the rubber seal (approx 3" diameter) between it and the block. My seal was cracked. Since it was late Saturday night and I didn't have a spare, I put it back on but replacing this seal is definitely on my to-do list.

1987 Ex-MOD 110 Tithonus LHD
2013 LR4

Utah Rovers 2015 / 2013 / 2012 / 2011 / 2010
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door
Oil pan gasket or Right Stuff

In post 17 guajiro asked if the oil pan needs a gasket or if the Right Stuff is adequate. I'm wondering the same thing. I have the 2.3L diesel which appears to be leaking at the oil pan. I would like to try to eliminate this leak and also get a look at the oil and engine since this truck is new to me. I haven't been able to locate a gasket which is the main reason for thinking of bypassing it, although someone here might have a source for them if they are preferred. There is also a drip under the bell housing that I hope goes away once the oil pan dries up. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7316.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	22714   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7319.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	22715  

Old November 6th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
Right stuff is 10x better than cork.

*not legal advice*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions