Engine Overheating - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:43 AM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Engine Overheating

I'd search, but I'm strapped for time and using an iphone... My engine is overheating and the heater is not working... I've replaced the thermostat, but no luck. What's the next plan of attack? Water pump? Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:47 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Is the top hose hard of flaccid (I always wanted to use that word on a car forum) once the motor is warmed up? If it's soft, it's the water pump. If it's hard, it's probably the radiator.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:12 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
the new t-stat is functioning properly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2014, 01:47 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
I'll crank it up when I get home and check the hose... No idea how old the radiator is. I'm assuming original. I bought a new tstat when it first happened and it didn't fix the issue.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:33 PM
justmarv
Marv
1997 D90

I am having same problem, but only when sitting in for a long train or in stopped traffic. Just noticed today that my clutch fan is not spinning very fast when at idle, can stop it with my finger! There is never an issue while driving only while stopped. Hope this is the issue for me, maybe someone can comment on this as well?
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:39 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmarv View Post
I am having same problem, but only when sitting in for a long train or in stopped traffic. Just noticed today that my clutch fan is not spinning very fast when at idle, can stop it with my finger! There is never an issue while driving only while stopped. Hope this is the issue for me, maybe someone can comment on this as well?
If you think your fan clutch is dead it's a easy replacement on your 97 for a Hayden 2626. Doesn't give you the C130 effect & is cheap enough to be worth doing amidst troubleshooting.
R-
Ray
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:02 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD90 View Post
I'd search, but I'm strapped for time and using an iphone... My engine is overheating and the heater is not working... I've replaced the thermostat, but no luck. What's the next plan of attack? Water pump? Thanks guys!
no heat sure sign of low coolant make sure your not air bound ,pull the top plug off radiator and off the heater hose should have steady flow at both if not fill until it comes out of heater hose then cap and repeat at radiator .. try that see what happens
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:26 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
pressure test your system ...and fill it up ... if the heater isnt working you don't have enough water in the system.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 3rd, 2014, 05:36 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

There can be a number of issues, but don't overlook the radiator regardless of what else you find. It's almost 20 years old. I bet it needs, at best, to be rodded. Maybe even a recore.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:23 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmarv View Post

New viscous coupling time.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:46 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
pressure test your system ...and fill it up ... if the heater isnt working you don't have enough water in the system.
this! you have air in the system! quick way to warp a head or blow a head gasket! nest question is where did the coolant go? That's the more important question.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 3rd, 2014, 12:23 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertek View Post
no heat sure sign of low coolant make sure your not air bound ,pull the top plug off radiator and off the heater hose should have steady flow at both if not fill until it comes out of heater hose then cap and repeat at radiator .. try that see what happens
I'm a novice at all this, but I'm going to give these a try tomorrow when I get off from work... so I just remove the hose from the heater inlet?

I also still need to check the fan clutch with the rolled up newspaper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
There can be a number of issues, but don't overlook the radiator regardless of what else you find. It's almost 20 years old. I bet it needs, at best, to be rodded. Maybe even a recore.
I'll check the fan clutch and pressure and see if those may be the case, and I guess this would potentially be the issue otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
this! you have air in the system! quick way to warp a head or blow a head gasket! nest question is where did the coolant go? That's the more important question.
This scares me, because I had to drive her home (about two miles) in the red... she was stuttering last time I cranked her up, but she had also been sitting for a month.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 01:17 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212

Registry
The crazy thing about cooling problems is it's probably some combination of all the above.

If you can stop the fan, new viscous clutch.
Laser temp your radiator to check temp difference from top to bottom. I can't remember how much it should be but it's on the board.
Is your water pump weeping fluid? SUPPOSED to weep fluid if it's going out.
There is a test for blow head gaskets too... I think it's bubbles in the overflow tank. But not positive.

And one STUPID thing that got me... I ordered a new radiator cap for the overflow tank. That system is pressurized. Although the place said it was "genuine" it didn't fit tight. Make sure that cap is tight and properly pressurizing the system.

Make sure you are filling the coolant up properly.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:10 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I really like the rrc fan and clutch, moves significantly more air than the stock defender fan
Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:33 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...7gVsWBOmpcJGSq

These videos helped me out a lot (as did the forum) when I was having issues with mine. For me it was a bad ground and a bad gauge, no actual overheating. Get a laser temp gun and see if the engine is actually overheating.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:06 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlam View Post
The crazy thing about cooling problems is it's probably some combination of all the above.
It all starts with one problem and then turns into a multitude of them. A bad fan clutch will lead to a mild overheat which blows off some coolant which creates an air pocket which creates an even bigger overheat and a warped head, coolant (if there is enough left) into the cylinders and a blown engine. Speaking from experience up to the blown engine as there was not enough coolant left, but a warped head was the result.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:42 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnecc View Post
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...7gVsWBOmpcJGSq

These videos helped me out a lot (as did the forum) when I was having issues with mine. For me it was a bad ground and a bad gauge, no actual overheating. Get a laser temp gun and see if the engine is actually overheating.

You really dont want to know how hot it is, the infrared temp gun and VDO gauges were the worst thing Ive ever done.

If the Rover gauge says its hot, its HOT
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:27 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
You really dont want to know how hot it is, the infrared temp gun and VDO gauges were the worst thing Ive ever done.

If the Rover gauge says its hot, its HOT
I got rid of the VDO and went back to stock too but I also have a Scangauge since I have a 97. The rover gauge doesn't move from tick left of center from 179-210 on the Scangauge. I haven't been over 210.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:48 PM
RoverDude
John Gadd
Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Is that what ended up being the issue?

-Jeff
He drove it 2 miles in the red. Now it stutters. Regardless of what "was" causing it, you can bet he needs at least a head gasket job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:11 AM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
I took the plastic cap off from the top of the radiator yesterday and topped the water off. Started the engine and it was purring like a kitten. Could there still be head gasket damage in that case? I rolled up a newspaper and was able to stop the fan, so that means water pump isn't up to par right? I also noticed a hairline crack in the plastic hose connection on top of the heater core. At least I know the radiator is ok.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, overheating