Engine opinions (likely another diesel thread) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 15th, 2010, 03:29 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
Engine opinions (likely another diesel thread)

I have a 1994 NAS D90 (CDN#18) bought a few months ago with about 100 000miles (160 000Kms). The original engine makes some noise. It likely need a good valve job or something like that.

I am contemplating a few options and would like some arguments to help me make a decision.

A. I could get the engine (3.9l petrol) rebuilt or at least get the valves fixed up (my estimate is about 1500$). Has the benefit of keeping the truck more original.

B. I can get a 2,5TD pretty cheap (maybe 500$ Canadian) that needs some work, have it cleaned up and fitted.

C. get a 200TDI or 300TDI from a Rover breaker in the UK and have it shipped.

D. Save my money until next year and buy one, like new, from Brit Restoration, an hour away from here.

E. Do nothing and wait for something to give. Perhaps light some incense or do some incantations...

FYI: - for now, the D90 is my daily driver, but I only have a few (5) miles to travel to work and I work (teach in a local college and University) 2 or 3 days per week, the rest of my work (eLearning) is done online.
- power is not a real issue, I'm happy driving 55MPH down the highway and never go over 60.
- I want Low end torque, as I do want to off-road
- I am in the process of adding off-rading stuff (bumper, winch, protection, etc), to start off-rading
- I will need to travel to get to my favorite off-roading place (about 1000Kms away, in central New-Jersey), so I care about fuel economy... moderately anyway, but this would never be enough to justify an 8000$ 300TDI swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2010, 04:05 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I love my 300's! And if you want some get up and go a TD5 is a hoot to drive and not any more complicated than the 3.9.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:24 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

I'm very new to this scene, and the truck I bought (an 84' with a disco 200tdi) turned out to be a bit of a nightmare. However; I am very happy that I have a 200tdi. It's a very simple and robust engine, no ECU etc. If your truck is otherwise sound I'd take a long look at a 200tdi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2010, 11:11 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger

Registry
More on engine options

Here is a good source of info on Diesel conversions from Mike Wesson at Brit Rest. I think he is one of the most knowledgable people around here. IMHO, he is a very trustworthy source of information on Rovers and on this topic in particular http://www.britrest.com/Diesel_notes...onversions.htm

So, for me, I think I will wait... and keep an ear on the noise and an eye on the oil dip stick.
Old July 16th, 2010, 01:24 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by maleger View Post
- I will need to travel to get to my favorite off-roading place (about 1000Kms away, in central New-Jersey), so I care about fuel economy... moderately anyway, but this would never be enough to justify an 8000$ 300TDI swap.
I know it's off topic but you are in CAN and would need to drive thru VT then MA and even CT (or upstate NY) and your favorite off-road place is in NJ?
Old July 16th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
what about the 4.6?

When looking over the ECR website, it looks like they put a fair number of 4.6 replacement engines in. Whats the pros and cons on these? Do they mate to the '94-97 defender transmissions? Do the tdi options mate up??
Old July 16th, 2010, 02:02 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I know it's off topic but you are in CAN and would need to drive thru VT then MA and even CT (or upstate NY) and your favorite off-road place is in NJ?
Sure, i't not that far away. Montreal is only 20 minutes from the NY-Champlain border crossing, near Platzburg NY. It's quicker that going through VT. NJ is about 7 hours away via Albany. It's a nice drive.

------ Follow up post added July 16th, 2010 02:04 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90 View Post
When looking over the ECR website, it looks like they put a fair number of 4.6 replacement engines in. Whats the pros and cons on these? Do they mate to the '94-97 defender transmissions? Do the tdi options mate up??
You can read Mike Wesson's site to get the details on the diesels. I don't know about the 4.6, but they would be easy to find off of a dammaged Disco or RR.
Old July 16th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

I don't know what transmission you are running, but I was reading about swapping a diesel from an older BMW in. I think they are a 6 cylinder 2.8 (I think). They all were bolted onto ZF's in the Beemer. I hear they are pretty much "bolt-on", with the exception of engine mounts. Seems like it might be an interesting swap. Once I get sick of my 200tdi, I might seriously investigate that route.
Old July 19th, 2010, 08:48 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofan View Post
I don't know what transmission you are running, but I was reading about swapping a diesel from an older BMW in. I think they are a 6 cylinder 2.8 (I think). They all were bolted onto ZF's in the Beemer. I hear they are pretty much "bolt-on", with the exception of engine mounts. Seems like it might be an interesting swap. Once I get sick of my 200tdi, I might seriously investigate that route.
I have the LT77 (based on the R position).
Old July 27th, 2010, 06:27 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger

Registry
I have found a supply of Land Rover engines (petrol) for 1000$Canadian (about 970$US). I need to go see what they are exactly, but they are out of Discos and RRs, which are (relatively) common here (as in USA actually). This is a lot cheaper than a 300TDI...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel, engine