Engine Oil Pouring from engine - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:16 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
Has anyone come out with a good kit with stainless braided lines? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer. Right now I figure I'll hold out until Mike at ECR has his kit sorted out.

This post makes me a bit uneasy and want to find a solution as soon as possible...
There are lots of ways to solve oil lines, new lines, remake your old ones etc. The reason the ECR solution isn't ready as a drop in yet is the number of possible combos to get it right. I just did a 95 D90 today and to get everything snaked around right it was a different set up than the one I did last week on another 95 D90. The difference being this 90 had the new style AC and the othe had factory installed AC (the filter drier causing fit issues with our other lines). The 110 sets we had are almost sorted as there appears to be no less than 4 ways the factory routed the AC lines. Then factor in the 2 types of radiators, 2 types of adapters and it gets into a lot of different kits. I have about 6 of the combinations done and mapped out so that a DIY guy could install them without complaints of things not fitting, but we still need to fit a few combinations to have them all. In my opinion it is in no way a "one kit fits all" like other suppliers sell, but then I like things just so. I'm against a customer getting a DIY "kit" that doesn't work, so our product development is slow because it all has to be right. Apologies to those who are waiting on it.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:20 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

No need to apologize, Mike. It's that attitude that makes your products so great. I like Hippert's idea of having a shop redo my current lines. It sounds like the cheapest and simplest solution as of yet.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
No need to apologize, Mike. It's that attitude that makes your products so great. I like Hippert's idea of having a shop redo my current lines. It sounds like the cheapest and simplest solution as of yet.
Its a great cheap way to go, but it still runs the lines right by the exhaust manifold. The other set ups go down the front of the motor staying far away from that heat source. If you get lines re-made be sure they are really tough hose that can take that external heat source, or sleeve them in some heat wrap or something. I don't think it makes much sense to run a "cooler" line right by one of the hottest things in the engine bay... but thats just me.

Cheapest way out there is take the oil cooler out of the system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:29 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Cheapest way out there is take the oil cooler out of the system.
I've considered that as well, but haven't been convinced that it's a good way to go. You really don't think it does enough? Even out on a trail all day at such slow speeds?
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:23 AM
dfscott
Daryl Scott
1994 Defender

The problem is indeed a tear in one of the oil cooler lines. They’re routed right near the exhaust manifold. Oil sprays up in a fine, atomizing mist covering the engine, ready to ignite. I was indeed very lucky. What a mess! The repair looks straight forward, if I can locate some braided lines or a kit.
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:45 AM
dfscott
Daryl Scott
1994 Defender

Mike: I called your shop and they told me what I should have learned from reading closer your product link--that you’re not selling the oil cooler kit currently, regardless of the D90 model. So, I’m now leaning toward replacing the lines with stock lines and revisiting this issue again in 50,000 miles. But is the risk of rupture immediate if I install stock lines due to the design defect? Or is this an issue based on wear that I can revisit at the appropriate time? Or can someone refer me to another kit for sale?
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:58 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Replace your lines with stock, but this time sleeve them in the heat sleeve from Summit. Search "heat sleeve" and you should find it. Then, when you remove your old lines you can take them or send them to get redone in braided stainless.. This way next time you feel like changing them out, it will be the last time. The heat sleeve is oil proof and heat proof, but even if they did rupture, it would contain the oil and keep it off your manifold and on the ground.
RDS has the pair for cheap $$$ on their website. You need two heat sleeves, one of which you will cut about 8" off of before install.

97 D90 SW
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:18 AM
dfscott
Daryl Scott
1994 Defender

Thanks. I also see that this forum has tons of information on the subject. I wonder how I missed it on the first pass?
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:38 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

If you can send me some pictures of your radiator fittings, your AC filter drier, etc I can likley sort what version of the kit you need. Without seeing I can't really send you a kit as one size does not fit all. If you can get me that info I can make you a SS line kit that does not go anywhere near the exhaust manifold
Thanks!
ECR

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfscott
But is the risk of rupture immediate if I install stock lines due to the design defect? Or is this an issue based on wear that I can revisit at the appropriate time?
I have seen stock lines that are just fine at 150K miles and I had a set blow up that were new replacements after 5K miles. There is no hard and fast rule on these things blowing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02497.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	9092  

Old April 24th, 2007, 01:51 PM
dfscott
Daryl Scott
1994 Defender

Mike: I'll send pictures. Thanks..
Old April 24th, 2007, 03:07 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
What do insurance companies say/do/claim when this happens?
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:14 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I fitted 2 fire extinguishers when I first heard of this problem, and like many of you I am sure, I procrastinated doing the lines. Well, I tried, but ran into the same fitting problems after buying one of the kits.

Eventually, mine blew, but thanks to this forum, I knew what it was, and how to handle it. I calmly pulled over, popped the hood, grabbed the nearest fire extinguisher and put it out. I never thought I'd see the day that I'd put out an engine fire like it wasn't a big deal (almost expected). Owning a defender will do that to you.

Oh, I ended up having mine rebuilt locally, but at twice the rate you bastards in NH get stuff done for!

charles
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

I went the "remove the oil cooler" route and haven't had any problems without it out here in the very hot south west.
Old June 11th, 2007, 11:52 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Well..... Got home a few hours earlier on board of the AAA tow truck.... White smoke, lots of oil all over the engine bay (mostly passenger side). I suspect that I should have replaced those oil line a few months ago.... I'll put Ken's kit to the test and see if it fits! [If I am not mistaking I paid around $80 for braided lines and adapter fittings] I did not check yet if this is what bursted (seems too obvious....). Now.... That's a LOT of cleaning to get that oil cleaned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar
I thought the oil was on the driver's side of the motor. Are the cooler lines not on the pass/side on all D-90s?
Yes, oil lines to the oil cooler are on the passenger side (left side) on NAS D90s.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley
I'm surprised nobody here suggested to get a good fire extinguisher. First thing I did was that.
Excellent point, when I jumped outside the truck, the first thing I grabbed was the fire extinguisher. I figured that I would at least limit the amount of damage. Luckily, I think I stopped in the first minute (or so) the line bursted so it did not catch on fire. I was on a highway, in a large merge area and was changing lane a few times until I saw the amount of white smoke in the side mirror... then in the rear view mirror...... Just like 5 mins earlier and I was in the gas station filling up.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant_V
I went the "remove the oil cooler" route and haven't had any problems without it out here in the very hot south west.
Hum.... So are we saying that the oil cooler (on my 5-spd setup) would be useless (or close to it)? Or would I be putting extra wear on it?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:34 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Loic he's saying that he just bypassed the cooler and hasn't seen any negative side effects. This is certainly a good short term fix, but personally I am not sure I'd do that as a long term fix myself.

If you need a hand fixing it, let me know. I also have a set of pil cooler lines you can borrow if need be, but you might as well bypass it if you just want to drive until you get replacements. Remove the oil filter, undo the nut holding the sandwich plate, remove the sandwich plate and screw oil filter back on. wire-tie the sandwich plate up, or disconnect the hoses at the radiator and plug them.

hth
charles
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:14 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

I still have a few sets of the braided oil lines that I had made up for our "group buy" last year. $77 for the set of 2, including fittings. They're set up to work with a separately bought Mocal SP1T sandwich plate that you can get for about $80. (this is the set up that Loic mentions)
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:40 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

I've been wondering about this one for a while. Is this specifically a problem with V8 Defenders, or is it something I should be concerned about with a 200tdi as well?

Thanks,
- Andrew.
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:05 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke
I've been wondering about this one for a while. Is this specifically a problem with V8 Defenders, or is it something I should be concerned about with a 200tdi as well?

Thanks,
- Andrew.
I'd think this is a NAS V8 problem. I don't think there is any oil cooler on the 200Tdi plus the engine bay temperature/exhaust temperature does not get as hot as the V8 (i.e. rubber piping lasts longer).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:09 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
I'd think this is a NAS V8 problem. I don't think there is any oil cooler on the 200Tdi plus the engine bay temperature/exhaust temperature does not get as hot as the V8 (i.e. rubber piping lasts longer).
Cool, thanks a lot. Well, that's one more thing I don't have to worry about, then.
- Andrew.
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:14 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Ken, were there any 97D's that went that route in your group buy? I'd like a pair of your lines if i can be certain they'll work in a 97 application.

Clay

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine