Engine Oil Leak - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 3rd, 2011, 07:29 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Engine Oil Leak

Ha ha. Yeah I know it's a Land Rover so it's supposed to leak, but this one is a bit more worrying then some of the others. 300Tdi engine. Oil coming out of the bottom of the front cover drain hole. Enough that after a run, oil is dripping from the diff, oil pan and track rod. Drove 100 km on Sunday and all was fine. Come out to the truck after work on Monday and see oil floating on the rain puddles leading me to look underneath and finding a gooey mess. I'm assuming it must be the front crank seal, but it seems odd that it would fail to that degree so suddenly? This ever happen to anybody else? Any other leaking seals on either of my Rovers start out by weeping a bit first. Seal and timing belt are about 2.5 years old. Looks like I will be doing the belt again as it's most likely covered in oil now. Bugga!

Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:39 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Did you do the cam seal when you did the crank seal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:09 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Yeah, I was thinking about that Matt, and I don't think I did. You need to pull off the gears on the cam and the injector pump, then pull off the back cover to do that seal right? Didn't do that one.

Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2011, 05:52 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

That's right. More likely the crank seal has gone again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine