Engine oil leak 2.5TD - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 26th, 2014, 07:16 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Engine oil leak 2.5TD

I have an engine oil leak that appears to be coming from the back of the engine near the fire wall. It doesn't seem to be from the rocker cover so I assume it is leaking from the head or perhaps the breather return hose.

I looked at the breather return hose and noticed there is no hose clamp where it enters the engine. Is there supposed to be a hose clamp on the hose there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2014, 07:36 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

You'll need to get some engine cleaner and clean everything up and run the engine while you watch for the presence of newly leaking oil. The leaking of oil can come from anywhere:
Rear seal
Blow by from the valve cover filler cap
valve cover
waste gate hose
turbo pressure hose and so on

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 26th, 2014, 09:25 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
I removed the tunnel covers and cleaned the engine and from what I can tell, the oil seems to be coming from the breather hose connected to the oil filler cap and going to the back of the engine. There is a lot of pressure on this hose and the one going to the air filter and with the new oil/air separator I resolved the leaks on that hose going to the air filter.

I looked at the parts for this engine, 19j and it shows the two hoses from the oil breather cap but the one that goes to the back of the engine is not shown.

Where does this hose go into and should there be a clamp on it? Does anyone else have leaks from this hose and how did they resolve it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine top 31.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	99461  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2014, 10:31 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

If the hose is just hanging it will leak oil due to the blow by pressure.
Sorry, am not familiar enough with the 19J turbo version to know exactly where the hose goes and have only worked on one and that was to remove it to fit a different engine.

Your 19J could be pressurizing which will cause oil to leak as well.
Commonly there is a PCV system to remove trapped gasses and let fresh air in that relieves the pressure.
One end goes to the air cleaner to let fresh air in while the other end goes to the inlet side of the engine to suck out the air inside the engine and "burn" the acidic gasses that form.

If you don't have a PCV system set up we can schedule a call and I'll be happy to walk you through how to accomplish it.

Hope this helps.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 26th, 2014, 01:32 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
The hose is attached at he back of the engine. Where it attaches to the engine there is no hose clamp so not sure if the clamp is missing.

This version of the engine vents the rocker cover to this hose and to the air filter via another hose. Both hoses are under pressure.

There is no PCV valve in this system

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine