Engine not rotating by hand...sometimes? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 13th, 2010, 11:27 AM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

Engine not rotating by hand...sometimes?

I'm experiencing difficulty rotating the used engine I just purchased. It will at times, by means of a 1/2" socket wrench on the pulley bolt, rotate just short of 360 degrees in either direction. When I rotate the entire engine on the stand returning it to its upright position, the crank will rotate freely. I've repeated this senario several times, rotating the entire engine and having either the crank lock up or rotate freely (it always locks at the same position).
The engine seems to be in excellent condition and the valves are not hanging (3.9 is a non-interference motor) nor have I been able to identify any debris in the cylinders. The engine is complete and ready for installation.
Any ideas?

Dan
3.9 94D90 st

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
i would start by flipping it over and pulling the oil pan, watch for any interference. also check that there isn't some obstruction being caused by part of the stand itself. if that all checks out then maybe try pulling the lifters one by one. could be a lifter or a bad lifter bore. could be something in the timing case too but that seems doubtful. did you have the engine apart to look at the bearings etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh12 View Post
I'm experiencing difficulty rotating the used engine I just purchased. It will at times, by means of a 1/2" socket wrench on the pulley bolt, rotate just short of 360 degrees in either direction. When I rotate the entire engine on the stand returning it to its upright position, the crank will rotate freely. I've repeated this senario several times, rotating the entire engine and having either the crank lock up or rotate freely (it always locks at the same position).
The engine seems to be in excellent condition and the valves are not hanging (3.9 is a non-interference motor) nor have I been able to identify any debris in the cylinders. The engine is complete and ready for installation.
Any ideas?

Dan
3.9 94D90 st

Old May 13th, 2010, 01:20 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
i would start by flipping it over and pulling the oil pan, watch for any interference. also check that there isn't some obstruction being caused by part of the stand itself. if that all checks out then maybe try pulling the lifters one by one. could be a lifter or a bad lifter bore. could be something in the timing case too but that seems doubtful. did you have the engine apart to look at the bearings etc?
I had the pan off and everything looked fine (I did not remove the caps and inspect the bearings). The motor is really clean for 84K miles. I never thought of intermittent sticking lifters? Maybe a little oil pressure would resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
clean shmean. Alot of damage can occur in 84000 miles of running, and it is about 1/2 the average life expectancy of a LR V8. I would check (plasitgauge) the rods and mains or even just replace them as a matter of course. Rear main seal too. Not that I did that on my Tdi., oops...

Quote:
I had the pan off and everything looked fine (I did not remove the caps and inspect the bearings). The motor is really clean for 84K miles. I never thought of intermittent sticking lifters? Maybe a little oil pressure would resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Dan
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

The only thing that I could think of is that the timing chain is off position and a piston is hitting an open valve. I use a flashlight through the spark plug holes and see which cylinder is at TDC when the engine is stuck and check those two valves. After that, I would The only other thing would possibly be that the opposite end of the crank, if it has a dowel or something in it, is hitting the stand. Is the front cover on the engine?
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:56 AM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
clean shmean. Alot of damage can occur in 84000 miles of running, and it is about 1/2 the average life expectancy of a LR V8. I would check (plasitgauge) the rods and mains or even just replace them as a matter of course. Rear main seal too. Not that I did that on my Tdi., oops...
I purchased it from Will Tillery (www.roverguy.com). IMHO, the safest way to purchase a quality (as described) used product is to purchase it from a reputable source.

Old May 14th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
agree will is a stand up guy. still, it is worth looking at some basic areas of the engine that will extend its life signifcantly. and it is much easier to do them now in a proactive manner than down the road after something breaks. unless of course you are uncomfortable doing that work. I suppose you could just say "don't fix it if it ain't broke" and just roll with it.

whatever you choose to do, i would not blame the seller if the bearings were a bit worn as there is really no way he could know that without opening it up. If they were really gone and it had a rod knock or the like maybe, but I don' think that is Will's style.

anyway, we are digressing from the major issue which is getting this thing to turn over freely.

Quote:
I purchased it from Will Tillery (www.roverguy.com). IMHO, the safest way to purchase a quality (as described) used product is to purchase it from a reputable source.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine