Engine noise in radio - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 18th, 2008, 07:37 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Engine noise in radio

So I replaced my head unit. Everything was fine until I replaced my antennae. Now when I down shift or the RPMs fall below approx. 2000, I get some nasty crackling and the reception cuts in and out until the truck comes to a complete stop. The guy at the car stereo shop says it's a bad ground through the antennae or when I did my tune up he mentioned something about shielded plugs/wires, which I never heard of. I used NGK plugs and Standard 7mm silicone wires. At cruising speeds the reception is fine. The guy at the shop suggested cutting the ground from the harness and running a clean ground right off the head unit to the chassis or radio. Any opinions/ advice??
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

It is pretty sound advice, and what I would give as well. Run a dedicated ground to the battery and rule that out first. I have my stereo and amps all with home run grounds straight to the battery.

There are a lot of different things that can cause this issue, especially those related to the fuel injection and alternator components. Before trying to deduce what impact those have, ruling out the ground is the first step.
Old April 20th, 2008, 04:31 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

how about using an filter in the line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

A possibly helpful site:

http://www.termpro.com/articles/noise.html
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:11 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

very excellent website, unfortunately, cause after reading that I have about 2-3 solid nights in the garage.....gotta get more beer...... and whats worse is auto electrical is my least favorite thing to do. but hope fully it will solve the problem cause it sucks.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

I would like to revisit this for a second. So, I ran a clean ground and the same sh*t is happening. Removed the ground and used the ground in the harness again. Switched back to my old antennae. Problem solved. What gives??? The replacement antennae came from eBay but didn't have any parts number. But it looks like the old one except steel colored instead of black. Anybody know what the hell is going on. New antennae = good reception but horrible feedback, old antennae = porr but clean reception.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Take a look at Step 4...

Otherwise, it's a hack way, but fast and headache free.
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:31 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

ok so just an update if anyone is interested. I was running new clean speaker wires as a step towards cleaning the sound. I was under the truck right under where the center console is and I noticed the wiring harness laying on top of the transfer case (i think. whatever the drive shaft goes into) So the heat melted the protective jacket and the insulation and the wires. specifically the ground and the left rear negative wire. After cutting and splicing in a short patch.
Can anyone teach me how to solder upside down??

The sound is cleaner than it was when I got the truck a year ago. I guess this was developing for awhile now. I cable tied the harness to the underside of the floor boards so it doesn't happen again. Does anyone know if that bracket that supports the harness uses one of the bolts for the stock cubby box?? perhaps I caused this when I put in the tuffy? I think it was "static-y" before that though and the bracket is rusted to shit. ALL CLEAN NOW THANK GOD!!! Now I just have to wait for the next thing to come along!
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:19 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Jonathon - thanks for the updates. I have a box of Pioneer items from Crutchfield waiting to go in and your posts have been helpful. I'll be sure to check underneath myself and make sure the wires are in the right place.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, radio