Engine Gremlins. Thoughts? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:20 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Truck just began giving me starting issues and I'm just looking for thoughts on where to begin looking. It's a '95 NAS 3.9 160k. Well maintained and never had this happen before.

It turns over, sputters, and can't stay running. This has only happened when the engine is warm and having just run and parked for less than 15 minutes. Then, after sitting for a while, 20 minutes or more, it starts right up like as if no problem had ever existed. It has done this 3 times now since the initial occurrence yesterday evening. Once running, there are no problems and I can't replicate the scenario by stopping and restarting the engine. It's random.

I'm thinking fuel pump or ignition coil? Any other thoughts? I'll be checking fuel pressure in the morning.

When it began yesterday I had just pressure washed the undercarriage. Probably unrelated as I didn't do anything unusual and was merely washing off the mountain pass from the previous night. Also, probably unrelated but having just begun the day before my starting issues, it could be relevant. My tach bottoms out and then resumes normal operation in 5th gear at 2k rpm's. Happened 2 days in a row in exactly the same way and only the first time getting into fifth for the day. I haven't been in 5th today, but there isn't any reason why I wouldn't expect to see it happen again. Just drops to 0 and then back up as if it were a connection to the gauge. No actual drop in engine rpm's. Thanks for any insights. - Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:31 PM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
I had a similar issue with the no start when warm on a D1 and it was the fuel temp sensor on the fuel rail. Swapped it and all was good.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 10:09 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Hadn't thought of that. Added to the list. Also sounds like the cheapest on the order of operations for diagnosis. Thank you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions