engine Fan wobble...resulting noise.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 6th, 2011, 03:11 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

engine Fan wobble...resulting noise....

I have noticed, after hearing a minor whistle/screaching-type noise in the engine comartment...so I checked it out and I noticed a little woble in m fan blades (I can see how its not even as it goes around (as in one portion is out farther and then as yyou keep spinning another portion is closer..(not by to much,maybe 1/4 of an inch play or slightly more...either way...my question is this..

could it have been installed incorrectly by my mechanic that worked on it at the time? or
is it possible that there might be a bearing thats off or broken?

just not sure what could be causing it...(at the moment I do not have a shroud covering it becuase i need one so take a look at the picks of what im talking about...and mbe you might be ble to see the slight change in the space b/w the fan in the first pic adn then n the second ... they are different lengths from the bolt attchment (hard to see granted, bu there is a wobgle when u see if trunning...

thanks for any input. suggestions...very much apreciated!!!

Ky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0183.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	42545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0182.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	42546  

Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2011, 08:11 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
The fan is mounted to a shaft on the water pump, so if the play is in the shaft your water pump is about to go. You will usually see if start leaking before it finally dies.

Can you feel the play by hand? If not, it's possible the fan just isn't mounted properly to the fan clutch. It's easy to pull and check that but putting the nut end in a vise and spinning it and watching for the same wobble.
Old October 6th, 2011, 01:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Replace your water pump asap!!!!!
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2011, 03:08 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I recently went through this ended up replacing my water pump because it started weeping. Check up by the pulleys on the bottom of the snout for a coolant trail...if you have one then it is time to replace the water pump. If not, check your fan mounting and fan clutch. If you are replacing the water pump, you may want to replace the fan clutch while you are there!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 6th, 2011, 05:53 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

jesus how many things is this going to turn into! haha...nah your absolutely right i prolly need a new water pump regardless, my truck has 85k miles on it so its about time....

but to answer one of the questions: NO you can grab the fan and actually feel the play in it....you can really only fully
notice to "wobble" when i turn the car on and watch it spin...I think it could have possibly been instaled incorrectly or not all the bolts are tightened, i dunno...but shit, its annoying...I acutally have another fan in the garage too so if need be i can replace the one in there now...but ya I dont know what to do except take it apart and reattach and see if it makes a difference
Old October 7th, 2011, 11:20 AM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
I had a noise coming from the front and I thought it was the fan or water pump or worse. So I took it down to Rob's in ABQ for him to checkout. Found out it was the AC tensioner bearing; water pump was weeping too so he is replacing that as well. He is doing a rebuild kit on the bearing. It has been 10 years since I have done a WP so figured good preventive maintenance. Picking it up next week; now we can go to Moab next month with one less thing to worry about.............
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Old October 7th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
before you go ripping everything apart and replace the water pump, check the viscous fan coupling first. Seals go, silicone leaks out, they overheat and the bearings let go.
With the motor off, check for play in the fan itself (ahead of the pulley).

Some have suggested that you can test the viscous coupling by letting the engine get to operating temperture and stick a rolled up newspaper into the running fan blades to see if the clutch is working. I personally would not try this, but there are other ways to eliminate the viscous coupling as the culprit before moving on to more involved projects.
Old October 8th, 2011, 04:34 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

got ya...
and no you cannot feel the wobble or loosness when you just try to move the fan with your hand, like i sid you only notice the wobble once the fan is spinning with motor on...so ya im gunna check a couple of those things first then see what happens...because im pretty sure the noise isnt coming from the water pump...
Old October 8th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Ariesblu View Post
got ya...
and no you cannot feel the wobble or loosness when you just try to move the fan with your hand, like i sid you only notice the wobble once the fan is spinning with motor on...so ya im gunna check a couple of those things first then see what happens...because im pretty sure the noise isnt coming from the water pump...

How good is the mechanic?
Not to be captain obvious or start pointing fingers at a mechanic, but the fan clutch is a reverse thread.
Possible that it's cross-threaded?
Old October 8th, 2011, 08:09 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
It's regular thread on a 97 afaik (serp belt).

But Kyle, see my post about seeing if there is a wobble to do poor fitment of the fan onto the fan clutch, and just pull it and see if the noise goes away when the fan is removed. Easy/free test.
Old October 9th, 2011, 02:00 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

k ill check your post out...but i think its the wobble in the fan plus the fact that i dont have a shroud covering it as well at the moment because im trying to figure out the issue....
by the way guys .... the fan DEFINITELY wobbles as it spins, and NO whe the engine is of you can move it back and forth by hand to see play in the fan ...so theres no play in the fan but only a wobble when its running....
Old October 9th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

Pop the belt off the tensioner and see if the belt stress is what is masking the problem. H20 pump is most likely the culprit and you will be able to move the fan back and forth once the tightness of the belt is released to see the play in the pump shaft.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, fan