Engine Dies: Fuel Pump & ECU Relays? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:29 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

Engine Dies: Fuel Pump & ECU Relays?

So far it appears that I have cured my idle issues with the coil amplifier relocation kit but I am still experiencing an intermittent cut-out. The engine dies while moving and after rolling to a stop I try to restart it and it briefly fires up for a split second then dies again. This makes me think that this particular problem is fuel related. I thought maybe the fuel tank breather was clogged and there was too much vacuum but that wasn't evident when I opened the gas cap. The truck starts up again after a couple minutes of rest. This has happened a few times. I checked the fuel pump & ecu relays and they were seated OK. I wiggled the wires but that didn't affect anything.

This morning it happened again but this time I hear clicks from the fuel pump relay that coincide with the cut-out power loss because I had not replaced the kick panel and I didn't have the radio on and I was driving slowly enough that road noise wasn't too loud. So perhaps I found the gremlin.

First Question: Are the fuel pump and ECU relays different? On mine, I have a Bosch 0332014112 relay installed for both. In the shop manual they appear to be different, though only slightly.

Second question: There is a blue connector and a black connector for the relays. I think blue is for the fuel pump, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2006, 01:29 PM
khouseal
Kevin Houseal
1994 NAS D-90

I have a no start truck. Pulled both relays last night, they are the same as yours, both the same. (Doesn't mean it's right tho'). Trying to locate them in town now.
Old October 12th, 2006, 04:34 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

They appear to just be standard 5-pin SPST relays. I think a more common version is Bosch 0 332 019 155, which is exactly the same except with a plastic case. I found this part number to be easier to find and cheaper. In any case, make sure you don't mistakenly get the Bosch 0 332 019 150, which does not have a diode. The diode needs to be there to protect the ECU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2006, 02:32 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

I found a cheap alternative. NIEHOFF part #RL33911, sold at Checker Auto (Kragen) for $9.95.

12V, SPST, 5 pins, 30A, diode suppressed.
Old October 15th, 2006, 01:25 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Same thing happened to my truck not too long ago. I thought it was fuel related too but it turned out to be the wire connecting the coil and the MAF sensor. The connection was bad on the coil. Try taking the wire off the coil and using a knife or razor blade to scratch the contact clean and then put it back on and see what happens. FYI land rover released an updated part for this very problem. I got mine running again and took it to the dealer to check for a better connection and lo and behold there was one. I beleive the the "updated" connection simply replaces the coil terminals with a screw on fittings as opposed to the "plug in" method currently employed. This was at least the case with my truck.. hope it helps..
p.s. I cleaned my stepper motor also.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ecu, engine, fuel, relay