Engine degreaser.. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 24th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW
Engine degreaser..

I am changing the seal on my oil pan and one of my valve covers and i was wondering if there are any bad things that might happen from spraying engine degreaser in the pan or on the valves.. I'm trying to keep it out but some is getting in no matter what.

Old May 24th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Tony Brooks
Can't help you with that, but I've been using por-15's marine clean on another project, and it's by far the best degreaser I've ever used.

Old May 24th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
The biggest thing to remember when cleaning things around an open engine, is that degreasers can dislodge sludge that can block the oil passages in the engine. Sometimes with older engines, the use of degreasers in open oil galleys, or oil "cleaners"/high detergent oils, can break loose slime and grime that can't make it through the galleys and you then blow bearings and such. So, it is in getting on the valves, I would consider not using it there. If it is only on the valve cover away from the engine, then don't worry--just put it back on clean. I always final clean my parts with brake cleaner. Actually, that is almost always what I clean with----

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions