Engine Cutting Out - Suggestions? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:58 PM
Ronanmd1
Jason
1997 D90 HS2.8

Engine Cutting Out - Suggestions?

Hey guys - Looking for suggestions on some issues I am having with my 110.

Background: Nas 110 with 4.6 conversion (block only) a few months ago.

Symptoms: She had been running great until a few weeks ago when the truck started cutting out while driving. No warning, would just die while driving...as though someone just turned off the key. Replaced the ignition module (and relocated it) and coil as well as plug wires at same time thinking it was an ignitor issue. This didn't fix the problem. Next time it happened I swapped out the fuel pump and relay and changed the filter (didn't check the fuel pressure - had a spare on the shelf, so seemed easier to just throw a new one in). Truck seemed to have a fair bit more power after this so I figured all was good and that the pump was the problem. All seemed well for a few weeks. Then while pulling away from a light the truck seemed to 'hesitate' and stutter a bit. No change on the tach reading, but felt as though I was letting up off the gas intermittently while accelerating. I was able to reproduce this stuttering symptom by turning on the AC system and fan while cruising or by pushing the truck hard ie/ up a hill (truck would hesitate quite violently). Checked all the leads to plugs, coil, injectors - popped em off and on again and all seemed fine again...until today when I was driving along and the truck just died on me. Pulled over and tried to start it. It would fire briefly for a sec, then shut cut out again (like it was starved for fuel). Again - took off a few of the wires and after about the 4th try, the truck just fired right up - although I am not sure that me jiggling any of the wires really had anything to do with it starting. Not really sure where to look next...

Cheers,

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2011, 06:17 AM
wfv56
Bill Vaughan

Ignition switch?
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:46 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Take a look at the connection from the distributor to the amplifier *relocation*. Seems to be an issue I have seen several times of late. There are, as you've guessed, many things that will cause these symptoms but as you mentioned that you've recently done this work and that the *jiggle* works....I'd give it some consideration.
Also check the signal wire to the ECU. The white with black tracer that goes from the coil back toward the MAF. Also may find the *chicklet* or whatever you guys call the little inline resistor in this feed. Rarely see these bad or or continuity issues but worth a look to see if loose. No signal in this wire will make it seem to run out of fuel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2011, 07:47 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronanmd1
No change on the tach reading, but felt as though I was letting up off the gas intermittently while accelerating.
Sounds like classic alternator. Check my thread from a few months ago and replace accordingly after testing.
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:17 AM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Next time it happens try checking for spark. The tach is driven off of the alternator unlike some which are coil driven so as long as the engine is truing and you've got power you'll get a read out so you actually need to pull a plug wire and have someone turn it over and try to jump spark to the block.

Intermittent problems are the worse. They never act up at a convenient time and are sometimes so brief it's hard to diagnose.

Could be alt too as Josh suggested. My symptoms were worse when I loaded down the electrical system as you did above by turning the air and lights on.

Happy Hunting!
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

Check the swing of the TPS and make sure there are no flat spots. A flat spot can cause studdering and fueling issues if the ECU gets mixed signals and will fall on it's face. Did you upgrade the ECU when you did the 4.6 conversion? Some of the ECU's are missing the ac demand and need an extra relay wired in and even thou it was running well before it might have run that way until it learned itself and masked other things. Mark Adams and I diag'd a truck a few years back with similar symptoms. Good luck.
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Ronanmd1
Jason
1997 D90 HS2.8

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Finally got a chance to have a better look under the hood. Inspected some of the connections to the coil, ignitor and alternator and took a closer look at the resistor coming off the coil. Connections look a little corroded on the resistor, so will address that on the weekend.

However, while I was climbing around under the bonnet, I noticed a huge ground strap dangling free at the back of the engine just above the bell housing. The thing looks like an engine ground strap, wrapped in some black plastic tubing non-shrink tubing. I would imagine this could potentially be giving me some of symptoms? Connected the thing back up and will drive for a while to see if the hesitation returns before moving to other potential sources...

Fingers crossed...I hate intermittent electrical shorts...

Jason
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

That strap can and will cause erratic issues if not hook'd up. It should be bolted to the back of the driver's side head.
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:43 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Did someonev put crud in your fuel tank? Maybe the new filter solved it but the junk in the tank blocked your new filter again.
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Ronanmd1
Jason
1997 D90 HS2.8

Well - looks like it was the engine ground strap. Fastened it back down, and all seems back to normal. Had her out for a 2 hr cruise into the mountains. Pushed hard with AC on up the climbs. No hesitation, ran smoothly with more top end umph. Hoping that got it sorted out. Thanks again for all the help...much appreciated.

Jason

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine