Engine cutting out problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 13th, 2007, 12:55 AM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

Engine cutting out problem

I've been having trouble with a 87 RR. The EFI light has been on for a month or so and the idel has been getting rougher over that time. I replaced the stepper motor with a used item yesterday and all was well, EFI light stayed off and the RR was running great. Took it for a cruse on the hwy today and it was great untill I was going around a tight turn on an over pass. The power cut out and the EFI light cam on, I floored it and nothing happend for about 4 or 5 sec then it came back to life and drove back to town ok. Once in town it stalled a couple of times and did the power cut out trick a few times where I could floor it and nothing happens for a few seconds, twice it felt like it was running out of gas. What does a failing fuel pump do on one of these? The RR has about 200000miles and is on the original pump. Thanks for any ideas/sugestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2007, 01:06 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Check the connections on your coil. One of mine was coming loose and it did the same thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old August 13th, 2007, 04:59 AM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
Check connections to the inertia fuel pump cutoff switch. Not sure where it is on an 87RR -or if it has one. On my 95D it is behind the aircleaner with a rubber boot over the reset button. I believe later models had an auto reset.

Ive been having cutoff problems for a month until I cleaned the connection to this switch. The last time it cut out I was braking and turning hard right and the engine just died. Also just slamming the bonnet was enough to cut it off.

Jeff at JCRovers in Denver pointed me straight at it. Apparently not a rare problem.
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2007, 11:52 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

Think I got it... just changed the coil and it seems to be good now. I'll use it for running around town tomorrow and see what happens.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine