Engine conversion options - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 8th, 2017, 09:41 PM
SGS714
Scott Striglos
3xRRC 2xD90 2xD110 Series II, IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssi19 View Post
Anyone know the approx cost for the LS conversion (done by a pro shop), all in, including the engine, parts, labor etc. I've searched that thread and don't see any indication of cost.
Those of us that had someone do the work for them are to embarrassed to tell you the final price. Plus I have every receipt and don't want to add it all up.

67 Series II
71 Series IIa 88" ACR 2.8 Power Plus
89 RRC 2 door VM 2.5TD
93 D110 NAS #327
94 2x D90 NAS #'s 1076 ACR 4.8, 1161 SBC
94 D90 NAS now a D110 HS 2.8 aka Project Wolf
95 2x RRC
1-SWB,Doing the LS Gen IV 98% Done
1-LWB 300tdi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2017, 09:45 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mongo is to be feared

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 8th, 2017, 09:58 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
bling...
damn..thats sweet..yeah mine looked nothing like that..moved the 110 down the road pretty damn well though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2017, 07:51 AM
Tallergypsy
Ray Wood
1984 Australian Built 110 4BD1

Consider an isuzu

My choice would be an Isuzu 4bd2t. My expedition truck (Collector Classics: All things Land Rover | Driving) is the Australian built 110 with the ISUZU 4bd1 and it is an incredibly powerful and reliable machine. My previous vehicles have had 300Tdi and the 2.8 Brazilian version but in both cases I had problems with the aluminum heads.
The 4bd2t is a very common engine in the US used in GMC and ISUZU PBR delivery trucks. A complete engine overhaul kit is less than US$1000 on E Bay.
I bought a used 4bd2t recently for $1200 that included radiator, intercooler and remote air filter to use in a 101 fwd control. I also got the bell housing which will allow me to make a custom 3000 TDI modification easily.
OK they are a bit heavy with the cast iron head but they go on for ever and with me it is all about reliability.

Ray
Old January 9th, 2017, 08:31 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I saw recently somewhere Lucky8 is offering complete conversion kits. Might give them a ring to see what they've pulled together and why they've made the product development investment. One thing seems fairly certain though. The tdi brings a healthy lifestyle of learning and planning and open discussion re how to keep things going for 100's of thousands of miles and the LS options on paper bring convenience and more domestic knowhow and greater overall utility to your vehicle. Both can be smart choices if you know what you want out of the overall experience.

Old January 9th, 2017, 08:58 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholesaleChad View Post
I feel like I've searched and read for days and I'm not sure I've really found much so wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I currently own a 89 110 with 2.5 diesel and it's in need of an engine upgrade. My local shop does 200 and 300 TDIs and I can go that route. However the first Defender I owned had a 350 V8 under hood and honestly I got spoiled on the power so making sure there isn't someone doing any other conversions before I settle on a 300. So my question is are there any shops in US doing anything besides 200 and 300s? I don't really mind shipping it somewhere if I have to. Or just roll with the TDI? I plan on keeping this one a while so didn't want to miss a better alternate for long term ownership. Thanks in advance any input is appreciated.

As for use I live in TN so decent amount of hills and I have a 60mph Hwy into work. Will be used on and off road. Already has a rack and some other mods on it so carrying some extra weight.
I would go Isuzu, but prefer the 4JB1T over the more industrial 4BD2t.
The 4JB1T is an SUV engine and is my favorite engine for a commuter.
If you want to run alternate fuels, like veg or other used oils, the Mercedes OM617 is a good choice.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 9th, 2017, 09:04 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Long before anyone actually thought about these V8's ( back in 2000) I purchased a 16k '99 LS1 (complete with every bolt, uncut harness and exhaust) along with the 4L60E for $4500 shipped from HP Salvage out of Texas. I converted the 4L60E to 4x4 for another $100. It is backed by a flipped Dana 300 and Currie hi-pinion 9's under a shortened D90 chassis. I did all of the fab work including a custom SS exhaust and 3 link front suspension. If I had to venture the cost so far I'd put it somewhere around $6500. That project still sits in the garage about 80% complete. Now that I'm retired I'll finally get this project completed after other pressing tasks are done.

'71 IIA 88" LS1 hybrid
'84 110 5 door 'Nigerian Princess'
'90 RRC
'97 D1 LSE (parting out)
'02 D2 Kalahari
'02 D2 SE
'02 D2 SE
Old January 9th, 2017, 03:32 PM
WholesaleChad
Chad
None

Thanks for the info everyone, I have reached out to all these shops. Yeh main concern is upgrading to 300tdi then in 6 months wishing i had bit the bullet and done something else. THanks will report back once I know more.
Old January 10th, 2017, 04:28 PM
WholesaleChad
Chad
None

Well short term update. Talked to several shops ended up going with my local guys original recommendation and putting in a 300tdi. Its pretty inexpensive and he is adamant about the motor haha. I really liked the one I drove with the 350 GM motor but the diesel does feel a little more right to me. Just gonna be a little slower 0-60. Thanks for help everyone. I'll fire updates when its all in. Need to post pics in the registry anyway.
Old January 10th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Have you driven a TDI? Do that first before committing.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 10th, 2017, 04:44 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
What John said.. Drive them both first. and an old style carbed chevy 350 is not the same as a modern LS.
What price range did the shops quote you for an LS swap?
Old January 10th, 2017, 05:03 PM
WholesaleChad
Chad
None

I have luckily driven both. I owned one someone previously had put in a 350 GM motor. I did really like it. I drove one with a 300TDI that wasn't mine. Different for sure both have their perks I would say.

The 3 shops I called all quoted $20k plus for the GM Conversions. 2 way over that which is fine I know there is a market for it. I talked to the guy who put the one in the Defender I previously owned. If i gather parts he will put it in, be about $12k Im guessing based on parts list from last time. Honestly its just hard for me at current time to spend a ton of time chasing the parts etc. I really need someone to be able to handle the job for the most part so all the GM conversions just priced me out for this one. SO far I tend to trade these somewhat often because I work in car business and people see them and tend to offer money and im kinda "everythign for sale" type. So maybe next time.

If I could have found someone who would handle the GM conversion for around $10k or so would have pulled trigger. But for now the TDI is fine for me.

------ Follow up post added January 10th, 2017 04:04 PM ------

Also to clarify the Defender I drove with GM was a new 350 crate motor
Old January 10th, 2017, 06:32 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Chad:
The new crate 350, is not an LS engine and may perform differently, something overlooked above.
A few tips.
I have had to "sort out" a number of 300TDI conversions, particularly where the engine is not located in the stock position and the cooling fan doesn't line up with the fan shroud.
Be sure the shop "knows 300TDI conversions" and ask to see a completed one or talk to someone who has a 300TDI swap completed by this shop you intend to use.
Look for poor wiring, cheap crimp connectors, and badly tilted engines, and so on.
Ask lots of questions.

I have also encountered someone who had an LS engine installed.
The wiring was so bad, I sent it to a local shop to sort out, not because I was incapable of doing the work, but because the owner was grossly underestimating the level of effort to set the vehicle right, was tapped out financially, and had a "you touched it last I want you to warranty someone else's work" attitude.
After a while you can smell a confrontational entitled owner and decide to save yourself the guaranteed future hassle.
BTW: this problem is not unique to owners with LS conversions, there's no shortage of them.
Checkbook mechanics are not capable of understanding their vehicle mechanics intimately and only go by what someone tells them.
When they decide to believe the incorrect advisor or not believe the correct advisor, or both, the results are always bad.
Have you considered doing the conversion yourself?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:01 PM
SGS714
Scott Striglos
3xRRC 2xD90 2xD110 Series II, IIA

Excellent advice above...

67 Series II
71 Series IIa 88" ACR 2.8 Power Plus
89 RRC 2 door VM 2.5TD
93 D110 NAS #327
94 2x D90 NAS #'s 1076 ACR 4.8, 1161 SBC
94 D90 NAS now a D110 HS 2.8 aka Project Wolf
95 2x RRC
1-SWB,Doing the LS Gen IV 98% Done
1-LWB 300tdi
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:32 PM
WholesaleChad
Chad
None

Thanks for the input everyone much appreciated.

I do realize the engine I drove was a crate 350 and different from the LS motor. The LS would be overkill for Defender application it seems, i dunno maybe not may be fun. The one I drove was a built 350 and it was pretty spunky, it probably already let a 110 go faster than it should go.

I feel good about the shop doing it, they do a lot of installs and only work on older rovers. Every time I have been down they are using installing a 200 or 300. I have driven 2 they have done and know multiple people they have put one in for. So i feel pretty good there. They have suggested the 300 since day one when I brought up upgrading. Another reason I feel good doing 300 I know they did the work and will back it and work on it.

If I did send it out somewhere and something went bad be harder to get someone to fix another shops problems.

I probably "could" do it myself and not to be that guy but I don't have time for that major of a prject right now. Small weekend stuff ok but no motors in my future for a couple years. At this point just need a shop to handle it.
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:43 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Chad glad you found the best option for you and certainly don't blame you based on the economics of the quotes you were given. I wouldn't of done the swap either. I will say the LS is not about pure speed and power. Its quiet, smooth, reliable and with a 6 speed automatic makes the defender as pleasant a daily driver and tow vehicle as I think you can possibly achieve on this platform.. And yes if you put your foot into it...it goes like hell and is a lot of fun. As far getting it fixed.. Its a GM. Anyone can fix it for you if installed properly.
Old January 10th, 2017, 10:18 PM
WholesaleChad
Chad
None

Yeh I'm with you I would have surely dropped one in there if I could have found a spot to do it. It makes a 110 drive like a normal SUV which is an accomplishment.
Old January 11th, 2017, 08:06 AM
WholesaleChad
Chad
None

Ok so if a guy was willing to try and drop in a motor on his own are they any conversion kits/parts list out there for a LS/GM/Coyote conversion?

I looked through GM conversion thread but its 100 pages haha.

Thanks in advance.
Old January 11th, 2017, 08:08 AM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Yes Nick has a complete parts list for his conversion. Send him a PM or you can send me a PM with your email I might have the list. Like i said i pulled this swap off for around $6k.
Old January 11th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...post1919055522

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion, engine