Engine Choices... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 13th, 2014, 11:01 PM
spanto
peter
None

Engine Choices...

I've done enough looking around at engine options to narrow the field down some. Seems everyday I learn something new about engine options so I'm open to suggestions.

I'm purchasing a Stage 1 ROW 110 V8. I plan on getting it to the point where it can be a solid driver, reliable in cold weather conditions, take me and my family camping and perhaps do some overlanding.

I'm not talking about driving it balls out crazy. This will mostly be a highway truck. I want to cruise comfortably at 70-75. I may want to tow a light camper in the future obviously not at 75.

Here are my options as I see them:

1. The GM Gen 4 with the 4L60. Seems like a fairly straightforward transplant. Plenty of power. Only drawback for me is the slush box. Just not a huge fan plus wonder about how that is going to look in the cab. I'm wanting as close to factory look as possible. The only thing I've found so far is the Ashcroft center console but it needs some work to look good in a 110.

2. TD5. Seems like this has quite a few fans. Good power, maybe not enough to tow? Not easily fixiable here stateside. ECU maybe a con.

3. The new 3.2L Ford Powerstroke. US emissions compliant. A pro. Not a lot of precedent in Defenders here in the US with this "new" compliant engine. A con. Parts and service likely pretty reliable. ECU maybe a con.

4. The 2.8L TVG. Seems like a fairly straightforward if not tight fit. Easy to work on. Field ready. Enough to really cruise on the highway? Enough to tow?

I would appreciate your opinions of these options or others I haven't considered. What are the pros and cons. How easy is each option to get up and running? Personal expereince with these options. Any other information that might sway my decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
What is wrong with the current engine? It should comfortably cruise at 75. Slap in a new cam and EFI and it would have suitable power and be nice and reliable. All of the options you show are very expensive.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 13th, 2014, 11:25 PM
spanto
peter
None

I was under the impression the 3.5L would not cut it for my purposes. Both highway speeds and occasional towing. Am I wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2014, 11:41 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanto View Post
I've done enough looking around at engine options...purchasing a Stage 1 ROW 110 V8.
I would appreciate your opinions of these options or others I haven't considered.
My preference is the Mercedes OM617.
It can fill your needs and run on waste oils.

You left out the Rover 200 - 300TDI engines.
They are OK as well, although can be high on maintenance at times.
Just prototyped an adapter that will bolt a TDI directly to a Rover V8 pattern belhousing.

Am also installing an Isuzu 2.8 liter 4JB1-T Turbo Diesel into a 110.
This is NOT a big delivery truck engine, but a smaller one from an SUV.
Wonderful engine rated at 145 HP and with just a few turns of the fuel, an intercooler, and more boost will give you 165 - 170 HP.

Quote:
I was under the impression the 3.5L would not cut it for my purposes. Both highway speeds and occasional towing. Am I wrong?
Why don't you try it out and see if it works for you.
I know you are just brainstorming options, but the point of this post may become moot if you are satisfied the V8.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 13th, 2014, 11:56 PM
spanto
peter
None

Robert nothing particularly wrong with it. I just expect it's not going to deliver the power I'm looking for but then again I could be wrong. I'm also a diesel guy so I have a strong interest in running one of them.

I'm still learning the lingo, it's an '84 Stage 1 110. I don't think i needed to add the ROW in there.
Old February 14th, 2014, 12:03 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Robert nothing particularly wrong with it... I'm a diesel guy so I have a strong interest in running one of them.
In 1976 Mercedes installed a prototype of the OM617 engine into the C-111-II racer and won the Land Speed Endurance Trials averaging over 157 MPH.

All the options listed above are Diesels, so hope this helps.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 14th, 2014, 02:13 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
I to have a 110 V8 3.5 ltr motor and have driven it a fair bit . Mine has the dual Carbs that had the re-stricter plates under them . I took them out and it made a notable difference in the mid and top end. My 110 is an old MOD unit so not sure your has them . I have a OM617 in my 109 and I really like it , Hard to get a better diesel for the money .

My 110 im going with a mild built 4.2 running the CUX-14 system backed by a LT85 trans with the 1.410 LT230 and running 35" tires . This isn't the best motor, but an easy fit into the 110 using the computer harness from the LWB RRC . I had thought about the chevy option but decided against it due to adapters to keep the manual transmission. But if you wait awhile longer Advanced Adapters will have a LT230 adapter to most things american and 23 spline as I recall .

Good luck on your decision

Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:33 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Td5 is a great engine. easily tunable to 180~190bhp with intercooler & turbo.

Reliable, tows well (I towed my "new" to me 1989 SWB G-wagen last week on a flat trailer no issues in my 110)

I have 1.2:1 transfer box, so it cruises at 70 all day. will pull 105mhp if you feel the need!

ECU is no problem. If you don't drown it, it'll be fine, no worse than a V8 or any other car ECU controller.
Old February 14th, 2014, 08:41 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
4.6 converted to dizz/carb so it looks the same when you open the bonnet.
With some creative machining you can put a Chevy small block stroker crank and h beam rods in it. That along with a high lift cam, big valves and headers should give you the power you seek. Will punch out the 4.6 to about 5 liters.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 14th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
It will probably be tired. The cams and timing gear wear, killing power. Also the stock carb is restrictive. A new cam, timing gear and a modern EFI and EDIS system will be tons of power for cruising at 75 and towing as you state.

The 200/300 and OM617 options will be less power but still fine once tuned up for more than stock power. The TD5 is a lot nicer. All of these options are a fair bit of money though. $10000 is good starting point for doing it properly. Adding EFI/EDIS and a cam to your current motor is maybe $2000.

Old February 14th, 2014, 09:04 AM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
With some creative machining you can put a Chevy small block stroker crank and h beam rods in it. That along with a high lift cam, big valves and headers should give you the power you seek. Will punch out the 4.6 to about 5 liters.

I see you repeat this recipe on this board over and over, but I just don't think it is possible. The bore spacing is way off and the rods would have to be dog legged
Old February 14th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf View Post
I see you repeat this recipe on this board over and over, but I just don't think it is possible. The bore spacing is way off and the rods would have to be dog legged
Why don't you think his recipe is possible? This company is doing it...http://www.v8engines.com/engine-3.htm#4.8-52.
Old February 14th, 2014, 09:38 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Carlosz has one in his RRC
He modestly refers to it as a "modified 4.6"

1968 2A 88

Old February 14th, 2014, 09:50 AM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

I don't think its possible because none of the bearing journals would line up or the pistons to the cylinder bore.

I'm pretty sure RPI is using the realsteel cranks, and from what I've read those are made from raw mod motor forged cranks, not remachined chevy cranks

carlosz may be confusing a buick300 cranshaft for a chevy smallblock crankshaft.
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:30 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

...pssttt..."buick 300 crank" is the phrase you're looking for...and even then, I'm not convinced it's really cost effective.

But wtf do I know...
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:48 AM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

I'm with you on that. I picked one up thinking it would be a cheap build. To build a buick 300 stroked engine with a reasonable compression ratio that works with a cam designed for low RPM and bolted up to a ZF isn't that much cheaper than buying the real steel rotating assembly. All of the buick build recipes on the internet require a big overlap cam to keep dynamic compression in check. That isn't the kind of engine I want in a rover
Old February 14th, 2014, 11:34 AM
spanto
peter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
That got over my head fairly quickly. Are we talking a new 4.6 or reworking the current 3.5?

Why keep it the looks the same under the bonnet? For fit issues?

------ Follow up post added February 14th, 2014 11:37 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It will probably be tired. The cams and timing gear wear, killing power. Also the stock carb is restrictive. A new cam, timing gear and a modern EFI and EDIS system will be tons of power for cruising at 75 and towing as you state.
What's an EFI and EDIS system?

Thanks for the help

------ Follow up post added February 14th, 2014 11:39 AM ------

For these 4.6's what transmissions are bing mated?
Old February 14th, 2014, 11:41 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Only drawback for me is the slush box.
Slushbox? We are talking about a Land Rover on solid axles right?

If the option is there, I highly recommend an auto

My personal recommendation is to keep the V8. A 4 cylinder diesel on a loaded down long wheelbase truck is a major downgrade for the king of cruising you want to do.
Old February 14th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
What's an EFI and EDIS system?

For these 4.6's what transmissions are bing mated?
Electronic Fuel Injection and Electronic Distributorless Ignition System. Like every modern car. You can get nice systems now that use modern sensors and will be reliable.

You can use the current transmission with a 4.6 if you want.

Old February 14th, 2014, 11:48 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
A 4.6 can be retrofitted with components from a 3.5/3.9/4.0/4.2 that will allow you to have what is essentially the same everything except for bigger displacement. It does require some small modifications, but nothing all that complicated that you can't do the work yourself.
This way you don't have to do much of anything in the way of modification to the truck and drivetrain. The 4.6 has a stronger "bottom end" with cross bolted bearing caps.
EFI is Electronic Fuel Injection
EDIS is an Electronic Distributorless Ignition System.
You can keep the carbs you have now and the intake will fit right on to the 4.6. However, most people hate the complex side draft carbs and opt to use the Edelbrock 4 barrel intake with a new (electric choke) carb.

PS with the 4.6 you can have air conditioning.

1968 2A 88

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine