Engine Block Heater - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 27th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Raider
Adam Knox
95 ST AA Yellow

Engine Block Heater

I have a block heater to install on my 95 Defender...can anyone tell me where the freeze plug is I am supposed to put this thing? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Is it a generic version? or is it marked for the 3.9? Definitely have to make sure it's the correct size first, as there are a few different sized plugs out there. Not sure which one it may be, but most likely it will be one of the side plugs behind the exhaust manifold.

Your profile says your currently in Charleston, is that the case? I'd consider a block heater useless in South Carolina, it's mainly when you see consistant temperatures well below freezing that you need them.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 28th, 2007, 08:28 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Actually using an engine block heater in all temperatures can reduce engine wear, emissions and deposits. The engine gets up to temperature faster - plus its really nice on a cold day to have heat coming out of your vents by the time you reach the end of your driveway...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I dunno, Seen too many bust loose and dump all the coolant because of the poor quality of the heater. If I had a choice I'd go with an oil pan mat or dipstick element.

Old October 28th, 2007, 10:19 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

I would go with engine block heater. I will look at mine. I installed one last year and it is great. I did however cover the cord with some flame resistant material. I had one melt from the exhaust on a landcruiser before.
brian
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Raider
Adam Knox
95 ST AA Yellow

Sorry about that, I am actually in Alaska now. Temps pretty much stay below freezing from now until April or so. I'm pretty sure it is a generic version that RN sells from the 90. The part number on the package was the same as the genuine part except for the first few letters, and about 1/2 the price. So...I'll check behind the exhaust manifold. How do they come out? Thanks for the help, the instructions were pretty lame...remove plug, replace with heater, plug in.
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Alaska? Yeah, that's a different story, definitely need one there.

First thing to do is drain all the coolant out of course.

Usually you can get a freeze plug out by knocking one side in with a heavy punch, this will make it twist in the hole and let you grab it with big pliers or get a prybar behind it. But you have to be careful not to damage the block around the plug. They just press in to put the new one in, be careful that it is level with the hole when you do it, and that the mating surface is nice and clean.

Another option is to take it to a good mechanic, most shops up there should be familiar with them enough to do an install pretty cheap and quick. Plus they can do a flush and new anti-freeze at the same time, very important to keep the stuff in good condition up there.

Also, consider a battery blanket as well. Cranking amps drop like a rock in real low temps.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, heater