Engel Fridge question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 29th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Engel Fridge question

Can anyone tell me about how long does it take an Engel to cool down from ambient temperature to fridge temperature (mid 30s)? I'm planning on getting a model 45.

Also, do any of you have one with the transit lock mounted on the wheel well in the back? if so, could I see a picture of the mount? Thinking I may have to build a bracket based on the width. the plan is to have the 2 jump seats on the right wheel well, and the engel on the lift. would like to visualize it with a pic from anyone else that has configured that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2007, 10:43 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I had one configured that way, but I've moved it now so I cant provide a pic. A 35 or 45 wont fit directly on the wheelwell, it sticks out over the edge. I solved the problem by cutting a piece of MDO to the correct width and mounting the slidelock to it. My board is 18 inches wide, and the edge of the slidelock is flush with the edge of the board.

The fridge cools off quickly, I dont think its any slower than a regular fridge. How long it takes to cool down has such a great deal to do with how much stuff you've put in it that its hard to say. Whenever I've put room temperature drinks in there, they've been nice and cool in a couple hours.
Old April 29th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
thanks. I did realize I would have to extend over to some degree with the mount, and I'm ok with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2007, 08:34 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I've been thinking of getting one of these too... Can I run it overnight in refrigerator or freezer mode? How long with it take to run the batteries down?

I am running dual yellow tops.

Scott

Old April 30th, 2007, 09:05 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've got a single yellow top and I've never had a problem leaving it plugged in all night. It just doesnt draw much juice. Even in freezer mode, it only cycles every 20 minutes or so, and its quiet enough you can sleep right next to it.
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Best4x4
Kelly Graham
P38

I have the ARB and love it .....it is a nice quiet hummmm to sleep by....I've never had any problems with battery drain either.....Hope all is well in Atlanta Scott....BTW are you still running those MRT's???? Kelly G
Old April 30th, 2007, 11:48 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I am...they are running very well. In fact, I will be putting them on soon for this weekend at Carolina Rovers Uwharrie event. Any chance you will be there?

JimC, since you are in GA for the next few months, and you have a truck here, head up there with Tisdale.

Mark, sorry for the Hi-jack.

Scott

Old April 30th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I have had an ARB for several years. It is an excellent piece of gear. It will cool down rather quickly. I have 2 batteries in the truck and run the fridge off of a yellow top. Now that the battery is almost 7 years old, the fridge can drain it overnight. I still have a red top in reserve to start the truck if needed. I can also confirm that the fridge will continue to work when sideways or upside down.
Old April 30th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I'm inclined to go with the Engel instead of the ARB btw, simply because of the slide lock. any advantages that the ARB has over the engel to consider?
Old April 30th, 2007, 03:04 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I understand the difference between the ARB and Engel is badging and the optional integrated thermometer on the ARB. I belive ARB's are manufactured by Engel.
Old April 30th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
If this is true, do you ARB owners know if the ARB feet can be replaced with the engel slide lock feet, and if so, would they line up with the slide lock?
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:07 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

ARB/Engel refrigerators

I used the Engel slide lock and feet on my ARB fridge/freezer and it works fine with one big caveat: If you roll it can break loose from the transit lock and come bouncing around the inside of your D90. Happened to me. I beat the sheet metal back out and it still works fine, however.

Clark
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:10 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
so the feet patterns are exactly the same. in ref to the caveat, is that an arb to engel slide lock thing, or will the same thing happen to an engel in the engel slide lock? if it's the same for both, there there is no disadvantage to putting an arb in an engel slide lock, and I shouldn't pass a good deal on an arb because of a lack of slide lock option. correct?
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:30 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

It's my understanding that ARB motor is sealed and the Engle is not. I really don't think it matters unless you have it exposed to weather. Maybe better if you have a soft top?

I have a 45 and it's bigger than I need for one person on trips as long as seven days. For my use a 35 probably would have been better. But I always use some dehydrated food just in case.
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:29 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I ordered an Engle 35 today from www.atlantasolar.com.

After searching around, they had the best prices on them.

Just an FYI if you are in the market.

97 D90 SW
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:27 AM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Question Photos?

Anyone want to share pics of Engel or ARB fridges installed in there rig?
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I don't have one, but check out EE's site: https://www.expeditionexchange.com/engel/ and https://www.expeditionexchange.com/arb/
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:49 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

I've been through the EE site several times---I just wanted to see where/how people are mounting them inside there D90... any installtion pictures would be cool to see.

Paul
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I see. I think dmarchand has a few pics of his setup. I found: http://www.pbase.com/dmarchand/image/81599452
Old July 11th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I'm looking for same thing. I am interested in actually mounting on the wheel well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions